Magico Mini - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2007, 02:37 PM   #21
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
As to the cabinet - well its sealed and I'm sure you can estimate the volume. The layered construction is also pretty obvious from the pictures. The baffle itself can be bettered with cement.
I mostly agree with what you've said, except for "The baffle itself can be bettered with cement".

Can it? Do you know how much of a role the aluminum baffle plays in heat dispersion, seeing as these are power hungry? Would there be a better energy transfer from driver frames to aluminum vs. cement perhaps?

It certainly seems like a heck of a little speaker, but I agree- nothing that would be THAT difficult to replicate. Just be careful with absolute comparative statements. Cement might be a worse solution.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:33 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Certainly the speaker can be replicated for less than $20K! Shows you what kind of insane markups there are out there. It can be replicated for maybe 15% of the retail price, maybe less. What a huge waste of money to buy retail in this category, whatever your budget is.

I must say I'm intrigued by the woofer - would be nice to see some measurements.
Old 12th December 2007, 05:49 PM   #23
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

AFAIK All exclusive brands of speakers are using custom modified drivers .They may not be better than stock ones but they almost always little different -good luck finding/buying those drivers. How do you know that pictures of interior show all the details ?You'd need to use the same stock of material to build enclosures with the same technique and glue to get identical results ,than you would have to tune crossover (how do you know that each pair is not matched together)
I'd wait a little and buy used for half price or less. I've yet to hear a DIY speaker worth more than a wood it was built from .regards.l
Old 12th December 2007, 06:04 PM   #24
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limono
You'd need to use the same stock of material to build enclosures with the same technique and glue to get identical results
Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
Quote:
I've yet to hear a DIY speaker worth more than a wood it was built from
That was uncalled for. Is this your idea of a diy speaker? (see attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done-and-ducked.jpg (17.9 KB, 2174 views)
Old 12th December 2007, 06:09 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Hi! DB

Nice DIY speaker, which TV crying for speakers?

regards zeoN_Rider
Old 12th December 2007, 06:20 PM   #26
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badman

I mostly agree with what you've said, except for "The baffle itself can be bettered with cement".

Can it? Do you know how much of a role the aluminum baffle plays in heat dispersion, seeing as these are power hungry? Would there be a better energy transfer from driver frames to aluminum vs. cement perhaps?

It certainly seems like a heck of a little speaker, but I agree- nothing that would be THAT difficult to replicate. Just be careful with absolute comparative statements. Cement might be a worse solution.

Most frames have very little to do with thermal exchange. Because of that the baffle is rather meaningless thermally (except for converting vibration to heat - which wouldn't have much meaning as far as heating is concerned).

The really important part here is a tight coupling of driver frame to baffle, and removal of vibration from frame (while limiting vibration being transmitted back to the frame delayed in time).

The driver could be coupled as tightly to the cement baffle as to an aluminum baffle.

Aluminum would be able to more quickly remove vibrations.. BUT would also transmit vibrations back to the frame more quickly. Cement however would only be slightly slower to remove vibrations, but (especially with some aggregate) return fewer vibrations - and likely considerably fewer.
Old 12th December 2007, 06:34 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DcibeL

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

That was uncalled for. Is this your idea of a diy speaker? (see attached)
DcibeL you beat me to it on this one. Limono you have not heard any well-designed DIY speakers. Apparently you are not into this hobby - why are you on this forum?
Old 12th December 2007, 06:37 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I've yet to hear a DIY speaker worth more than a wood it was built from.
I've yet to hear a commercial speaker that I didn't want to modify.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th December 2007, 07:00 PM   #29
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

Most frames have very little to do with thermal exchange. Because of that the baffle is rather meaningless thermally (except for converting vibration to heat - which wouldn't have much meaning as far as heating is concerned).

The really important part here is a tight coupling of driver frame to baffle, and removal of vibration from frame (while limiting vibration being transmitted back to the frame delayed in time).

The driver could be coupled as tightly to the cement baffle as to an aluminum baffle.

Aluminum would be able to more quickly remove vibrations.. BUT would also transmit vibrations back to the frame more quickly. Cement however would only be slightly slower to remove vibrations, but (especially with some aggregate) return fewer vibrations - and likely considerably fewer.
The baffle, in this instance, provides a thermal pathway to the outside of the otherwise well-insulated cabinet. The tight coupling doesn't necessarily mean that the transmission at the interface is effective, it might mean more frame reflections.

This is all fairly much esoterica, but I'm just saying- cement might not be better, the Al might be the superior design choice. Not *IS*, *MIGHT BE*.
Old 12th December 2007, 07:41 PM   #30
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Dcibel
Cool speaker ,I bet it sounds more coherent than typical DIY project which usually consist a best most fashionable drivers money can buy ( why settle for less ??) panzer tank enclosures and latest foil inductors /expensive caps to ensure that result will be second to none. (well in that case Magico Mini is a really a good object of DIY interest ).As to why I post on the subject I thought that topic of this thread is how to clone sound of Magico Mini which I find not realistic /possible. But since most here feel they can certainly do better (which actually is possible) back I will go to my drawer

Hide this!Advertise here!