Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2008, 03:51 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
ever tried audiotechology. I used their woofer before with fast and tight bass.
Old 10th February 2008, 03:58 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

Default woofer

Audiotechnology makes nice woofers, but I'm really looking for a sub. I was thinking Aura, Peerless XXLS, Scan-speak's 9", or maybe Diamond Car Audio's TDX drivers. I want a sealed or passive radiator design. I don't want a refrigerator. Since it's active crossovers, I can taylor a sealed driver as I need for low range extention.

Mr. Linkwitz seems to be cozy with Peerless, but I'm worried that the quality of the driver isn't there. I tried some of their HDS drivers some time ago and I was really disapointed. I like the Aura, but I don't want a big box. Same goes for the Diamond driver. The scan speak is a nice idea, but I think it might be too small of a cone for what I need.
Old 11th February 2008, 01:22 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

The 23W from Scan-Speak is a very nice woofer especially if you don't have huge SPL requirements, want deep (quality) extension, and want a small box. I have one in a box and one in a ported test cab. The ported alignment is nice, even though I'm not a fan of ported boxes. I will try sealed next but need to acquire more of them.

I doubt you can go wrong with Aura as well,

C
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:34 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Default project coming along

ok it took a really long time to get to this point with all the other stuff I have going on, but here goes....

The faceplates and rear spines of my mini's are back from my machinist and cam out awsome. I sanded out the milling marks with 160 grit and used a self etch automotive primer followed by an automotive black trim pain. They look AWSOME!!! The plywood cross sections will be back from the water jet company on wedensday and I have all the other hardware. I'm using the same cardas posts that magico uses and overall they look almost identical.. There are a few tiny changes in the shape, but you would really have to have them next to each other to see it.

So far here are my costs:

aluminum from ebay - about $150.00

milling faceplates $800.00 2 HAAS machines running 8 hours at $50/hr.

milling rear plates $60.00

milling woofer retainer clips - $ 60.00

cardas posts - $80.00

ss tweeters - $350.00 at the trading post section of this site.

atd woofers - $1200.00 from e-speakers

hardware - $75.00 from Mcmaster Carr

plywood - $130.00 - home depot - no i didn't use baltic birch it was 4 times the price and special order. Also not a huge difference in the end result

Everythin was designed on Alibre and I exported the filed in iges format into mastercam to mill the parts

I'll post pics later this week.

for stands I'm going to build some matching subs. I tried several drivers and the best were some of the cheapest. by far my favorites were the dayton reference 15" HF driver. Since they are limited in x-max I'm going to use 2 per sub with 2 subs. I'm going to power the subs with hypex 2kw amps. Now I just need a crossover.
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:17 AM   #225
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: project coming along

Quote:
Originally posted by mp006ltk

milling faceplates $800.00 2 HAAS machines running 8 hours at $50/hr.

That seems more expensive than it should be, not the running time - but rather the cost for job itself ..rather like it was spending a lot of time slowly milling down large sections.

You might have been able to save a bit overall by using emachineshop.com (..they also do oxidizing finishes).

I know, too late now.
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:36 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Default follow up

I looked at a pair of v-3's at the local dealer here in chicago and the seem to be painted, not oxidized as you put it. On aluminum the process is anodizing like pots and pans. when you compare against the real thing they look identical and the finish only cost me 30 bucks to spray.

As far as the milling. The machine I used is pretty much the same thing as magico uses. HAAS VF-1 with tool changer. Along with mastercam software, I don't think it could be done much quicker. I think Magico states 6 hours each but I would hope that when your running that many of them you could cut down on the machine time by refining the program and using custom mounting jigs. You could also make a sand casting to avoid having to go through the roughing stage. Other machine shops were FAR more expensive. I've looked at many of the online machine shops and prototyping services and they are rediculous!!!!!!! I have had numerous parts run by my guy and he is often half or a quarter the price of everyone else.
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:05 AM   #227
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: follow up

Quote:
Originally posted by mp006ltk
I looked at a pair of v-3's at the local dealer here in chicago and the seem to be painted, not oxidized as you put it. On aluminum the process is anodizing like pots and pans. when you compare against the real thing they look identical and the finish only cost me 30 bucks to spray.

As far as the milling. The machine I used is pretty much the same thing as magico uses. HAAS VF-1 with tool changer. Along with mastercam software, I don't think it could be done much quicker. I think Magico states 6 hours each but I would hope that when your running that many of them you could cut down on the machine time by refining the program and using custom mounting jigs. You could also make a sand casting to avoid having to go through the roughing stage. Other machine shops were FAR more expensive. I've looked at many of the online machine shops and prototyping services and they are rediculous!!!!!!! I have had numerous parts run by my guy and he is often half or a quarter the price of everyone else.

You can change the surface texture before the oxidation process to achieve various finishes. You can also vary the thickness of the oxidation.

If Magico's is not that, then it's likely its a powder coat enamel. So yeah, basically paint.

On a single machine it probably couldn't be done much quicker. BUT a machine shop has multiple machines - which usually can speed the process along particularly if a fair bit of material needs to be removed.

As far as the price though, you may be correct that your method resulted in overall savings. Don't know.

Anyway, I wish you luck with the project!
Old 11th June 2009, 12:44 AM   #228
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Why are you so set on getting the same look/finish like "Magico" ?Are you going to sell it as a "Magico" or pretend that you have /can afford Magico to bust your image? I don't get this part of DIY.
Old 11th June 2009, 01:15 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Default reply

It wouldn't look right if I painted them neon green now would it.
As far as your remarks, here goes:
No I don't intend to sell them
None of my friends are into audio, so they won't impress anyone.
Why pay 25K for something I can build and have fun doing for around 3K when all is said and done.

Lastly if you don't intend to contribute to this topic in a meaningful way go somewhere else.
Old 11th June 2009, 01:36 AM   #230
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for trolling, hehe
I can't help you to make the speaker more "Magico" like so I better go back to my drawer.I hope your wife doesn't have to look like Angelina Jolie.

Hide this!Advertise here!