Magico Mini - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2007, 11:20 PM   #11
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes but the diameter of a voice coil for a 7 inch cone has finite thermal exchange capabilities, remember that. Maybe its gonna be a 3 step power level experience: quiet SPL - almost ok SPL - distorted SPL. Never real & clear. How big is the room you plan to listen in, if you clone it?
Old 11th December 2007, 11:43 PM   #12
Saltuk is offline Saltuk  Turkey
diyAudio Member

My music room is 4m x 6m ,

Johnatan Valin from the Absolute Sound reviewed the Minis with Audio Research reference 610T Amplifier 600+w/ch , this link has good info about power requirements of the minis
http://forums.avguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=3156

I believe , that 7" cone is special.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:05 AM   #13
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
I would abandon cloning these speakers or any speakers .It is highly unlikely your going to copy the sound of original (I don't think it is possible ) just to many variations.
You're going to end up with expensive turd in your garage. DIY speakers are for guys with lots of spare time, wood and a fireplace . Since your budget seems to be in thousands of $$ I'd keep looking for something else .You did not mention what is your amplification and sources ..
Old 12th December 2007, 12:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Chief Moderator

From Mini II link you gave:

''Also, it has become clear to me that part of the lively, brightish treble-range sound of the Mini I wasn't the tweeter per se, but the superaddition of the sound of the original titanium-sandwich mid/woof, whose non-linearities (break-up modes) were much lower in frequency than those of the new Nano-Tech carbon-fiber-sandwich mid/woof (which is linear out to 20kHz!) and which, I'm guessing, was adding a bit of its own non-linear, out-of-passband sound (grain, roughness, and aggressiveness) to the top octaves.''

"If you typically listen to music at 100+dB levels (especially in a largish room), then you probably ought to be considering a different kind of loudspeaker. ''

I have suspected such in my previous posts.
Old 12th December 2007, 04:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limono
Hi
I would abandon cloning these speakers or any speakers .It is highly unlikely your going to copy the sound of original (I don't think it is possible ) just to many variations.
You're going to end up with expensive turd in your garage. DIY speakers are for guys with lots of spare time, wood and a fireplace . Since your budget seems to be in thousands of $$ I'd keep looking for something else .You did not mention what is your amplification and sources ..
Cloning is rather common, and if you use the same drivers, crossover and cabinet, you can't avoid achieving the same performance. Those are the variables - there are not too many.

Expensive turd - not if it is a faithful clone, and the speaker being cloned is a good one.

DIY is for people with a lot of spare time? I DIY, and I don't have a lot of spare time, and neither do most others here, I suspect. DIY is simply what we do with the spare time we have.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:26 AM   #16
cph2000 is offline cph2000  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Here is some further info:

danish diy

visit to the factory that produces these boxes (sorry again in danish)
Hornslet
Old 12th December 2007, 09:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

@salas you have some point, but strongly recommend to pay a visit to Audio Temple in Athens when you have time, for the minis.

@cph2000 thanks for the great links.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:29 PM   #18
zei is offline zei  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I made a "look alike" smaller version with 4,5" midbass from Seas.

It was very hard work to get the cabinets but then i did,nt use a cnc router. Maual job and looooooots of sanding..

Here is a pic of one of them ..

Click the image to open in full size.

Regards
Zei
Old 12th December 2007, 01:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltuk
@salas you have some point, but strongly recommend to pay a visit to Audio Temple in Athens when you have time, for the minis.
I will give it a shot given a circumstance. Its nice to evaluate some buzz components from time to time, so to know the state of luxury audio people's tastes. I try to keep an open mind and a friendly ear.
I am terribly disappointed from not a hurried exposure to stuff like Avalon Eidolon Diamond and latest Watt-Puppy, as parts of several hundred thousand Euro systems, I must confess.
My impression of this luxury business fits well with Lynn Olson's if you are familiar with his aired views.
Old 12th December 2007, 02:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I am some kind of indirect insider in audio business , and almost dislike every major high-end brand and their pricing policies (I am using custom made chinese electronics and cables in my system that costs less than -say a very expensive interconnect, and beats, likes of Krell and Wadia in A/B comparision to my ears and many others that I respect their opinions)
Please consider my point of view and take account of my feelings about the mini.

@zei what a beauty !

Hide this!Advertise here!