Magico Mini - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2007, 09:40 PM   #101
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just to show that DIY can "do" the cabs.. although these don't use the same drivers. ie its not a "clone"

http://home.mchsi.com/~dpeterson/johnpmid2.JPG

from Iowa 2006. get together.
Old 15th December 2007, 09:49 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limono

Who and why is buying this kind of speakers ,I wonder .People who can afford $20k
on speakers don't live in shoe boxes .I don't see any advantages of mini monitors but size (questionable if you include massive stand ) .
I would assume they would be used as a second system in a smaller listening room where the lord of the manor could enjoy his music without interruptions.

A "his" room.. hence the sloping top on the speakers so "she" can't put flower vases on top, a real design plus !!.

Certainly one would have to question the effectiveness as a main system in a large room.. physics and all that !!
Old 15th December 2007, 09:57 PM   #103
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terry j
[B]and here I was thinking the magico mini uses sourced drivers (of course modified in a magical way) from companies totally willing to sell said drivers, uses crossover components from companies perfectly willing to sell those components, uses the latest technology in cutting to manufacture the laminations for the box...and all the while it's one guy doing ALL the development work on the drivers, builds the drivers and must make his own caps, inductors and resistors in house etc etc etc. Or did I totally misunderstand KBK's post?
Andc qualities glue contributes. (puhlease)

Do we really have to go over this again??
Manufactures usually use modified drivers to protect design from copying efforts of communities like this and People Republic of China -what so hard to understand.
For your own use you can go and buy speaker in grocery store and claim that to your ears it sounds the same as $$$$$ mega high-end (many people do that -don't they)
In audio every detail matters , even stupid glue and board you use add to the final effect otherwise why they would research exotic materials ???? The product is the sum of its parts . Even if the effect of your DIY effort would be objectively better than Orginal Magico how do you know that this guy subjective impression wouldn't be totally different because it would not obviously sound like Magico mini , would it ?? (damn English
Old 15th December 2007, 10:07 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpsorin
********! 20k to make a speaker, is ********.

just use your common sense: compare the speaker with, lets say VW Passat.
Automobiles have the benefit of massive economies of scale.

I'm a maintenance supervisor for a food processing corporation. When I see what a million dollars buys in, say, a piece of equipment that puts a bag of Cheerios into a box, I marvel at how Lexus can sell a car so cheaply! The number of parts in an auto, the level of machining and finish, the sophistication of the electronics for the dollar are off the chart compared to anything that is hand made one at a time in limited numbers.

The Magico is proced more in line with the equipment I support at work.

Quote:
Who and why is buying this kind of speakers , I wonder .People who can afford $20k on speakers don't live in shoe boxes .I
For someone who lives in a million-dollar high-rise condo in Manhattan or San Francisco and doesn't want to tick off the neighbors with huge woofers, $20,000 mini monitors might be within reason. I'll never be that person!
Old 15th December 2007, 10:22 PM   #105
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Years ago I've read in audio magazine (it was the time when I read those ) that if people in general expected quality in audio comparable to the quality they expect in cars we would have lived in a different (audio) world . How true.
Old 16th December 2007, 04:02 AM   #106
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Do we really have to go over this again??
Manufactures usually use modified drivers to protect design from copying efforts of communities like this and People Republic of China -what so hard to understand.
For your own use you can go and buy speaker in grocery store and claim that to your ears it sounds the same as $$$$$ mega high-end (many people do that -don't they)
In audio every detail matters , even stupid glue and board you use add to the final effect otherwise why they would research exotic materials ???? The product is the sum of its parts . Even if the effect of your DIY effort would be objectively better than Orginal Magico how do you know that this guy subjective impression wouldn't be totally different because it would not obviously sound like Magico mini , would it ?? (damn English
I won't go back and confirm, but are you not the person who has no experience with DIY? (if wrong, then sorry).

So, could you inform us of your investigations into the sonic properties of various glues, and detail just how they sound different?

Can you put the various details that matter in audio into some sort of heirarchy for us please, ie just where in the pecking order you would place the effects of different glues in the magico sound.

Yes, everything matters in audio, yep had those discussions before, down to the minutiae of the different sounds we get from building our stereo racks out of different woods...PUHLEEEEEASE!

I would wager changing the tolerance of some of the crossover components would have a larger affect on the sound than the glue used to construct the box. I don't want to particularly harp on this point, it was a throwaway line, but it appears to have assumed some degree of importance to the non-diyer in you.

Hmm, research into exotic materials...wouldn't that have more to do with market delineation?

Re the 'driver built to my specs' line, that happens in cables too don't it? Buy enough of the stuff and the obliging manufacturer would put any printing on the cable you want, is that 'built to our exacting specs' enough for you?

Why would it not sound like the mini? I can get exactly the same response using the deqx, indeed as I say I can tailor it to MY tastes.

Oh, forgot, I'm not using the modified drivers and special glue.

Ahh, the power of product promotion.
Old 16th December 2007, 05:28 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

remember Terry..

we DIYers can only buy the crappiest drivers, nothing SS, Seas, AC, etc etc or anyone else sells to DIY is anywhere near as good as what the manufacturers use.

none of use know anything about cabinetry, and manufacturers have access to VERY SPECIAL glues and timbers that we can never get hold of.

despite the fact that most manufacturers use very much the same software as we have available to use.. none of us can do anything with it.

furthermore, none of us know what music should sound like anyway. ;-))

lets face it....... we are just a lost cause !!!
Old 16th December 2007, 06:18 AM   #108
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

sigh, I guess you're right Andy.

BTW, LOVE the pics on your site of all the translams.

I was going to point out that the OP will never hear the same sound even if he bought the magico minis, as he will (no doubt) be hearing them in a different room than the room he auditioned them in...but the speaker/room interaction will doubtless be swamped by the sonic consequences of using different glues....it is evidently waaay down the list of contributions to the sound.
Old 16th December 2007, 06:38 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

unfortunately I have had to remove those pages, to make room for more pics of my own stuff. (10Mb gets et fast with pics !!!)
but I left a link to else where they are.

Still, more crazy pics on the way real soon ;-)
Old 16th December 2007, 09:47 AM   #110
tomtom is offline tomtom  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Somebody can find this interesting

And I also find out the cabinets are all hand made in the US paying a craftsman $25/hr..

Cabinets fot minis are made in Denmark in this factory /which i suppose make also other "better" cabinets for other brands/

http://www.hifi4all.dk/content/templ...=1450&zoneid=4

Hide this!Advertise here!