Budget Bookshelf 2way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
markr89 said:
i think i may go with the 2-ways from zaph, i just don't feel comfortable with a full range driver when i can build a small two way for maybe $20 more.

Are you certain that the 2 extra drivers and associated XO components that could be fit into that budget would necessarily sound better than a well executed single driver system ?

While this is not the "Full Range" forum, I'd suspect there are enough builders who've played on both sides of that fence to suggest you should at least consider looking at some of the proven simpler designs.

Of course there are questions such as intended application, room size, and type of amp/power levels that would enter into the determination, regardless of the driver complement.

If you can find them, these Accurian speakers are a great buy! Only $15 for the pair, and they have built in amplifiers. You will have to do some very easy modifications to get them to work. I personally will be giving a pair to my brother as computer speakers for Christmas.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They sound pretty good even without crossover modifications, but I'm going to try and measure them soon to see if I can come up with a tweak or two.

Regards,
David

gtforme00 said:
If you can find them, these Accurian speakers are a great buy! Only $15 for the pair, and they have built in amplifiers. You will have to do some very easy modifications to get them to work. I personally will be giving a pair to my brother as computer speakers for Christmas.

They sound pretty good even without crossover modifications, but I'm going to try and measure them soon to see if I can come up with a tweak or two.

Regards,
David

just the parts itself is worth more than $15! unfortunately I don't live in the States.

Since you are interested, I'll try to push the schedule up on my project to finish before Christmas.

There are one or two threads on these, but I'll condense some information here for you.

- The speakers have an internal amplifier in the right speaker; this amplifier is designed to receive a signal from a transmitter over the AC power in your home.
- Radio Shack sold out of the transmitter long ago, and apparently did not order / was not able to order more. This left the receiving side products "orphaned" and nearly useless to the average consumer.
- The receiving side products include these speakers, and a stand-alone amplifier. There is a thread here which talks about the latter. The amplifier module in the speakers is the same as that in the stand alone amplifier. All modifications reported for that amplifier should be able to be performed on the speaker amplifier.
- The speaker pair does not have a pair of RCA jacks on the back like the stand alone amplifier has; in order to convert the internal amplifier to accept standard line level input, you need to add some type of input connection. I added RCA jacks to mine.
- The speakers have internal passive crossovers. This crossover is a simple series capacitor on the tweeter and the woofer runs free. The owners manual claims that the crossover point is at 10kHz.
- The tweeter is a silk dome of decent construction, the midwoofer is a 5-1/4" paper woofer with stamped frame, again of decent construction.
- The tweeter and woofer are both flush mounted, and there is a large radius on the cabinet front. The foundation is there for a low diffraction design.
- The cabinets are constructed of 12mm particle board, and there is no internal damping or bracing.
- The cabinets are ported, I am not sure of the tuning frequency yet.

Listening impressions (everything is relative to the price of $15; this should not be taken too seriously):

- Bass is decent to good. Not exactly boomy, but a little more boomy than I prefer. This is probably more due to the ported alignment than any mismatch of the drivers and cabinets. In fact, the cabinets seem to be fairly well aligned with the drivers. My wife was surprised with how much bass they could produce. Great for small rooms, and there is always a bass boost knob on the front of the speaker to adjust for taste.
- Midrange is good, probably the strongest characteristic. The paper mid-woofer seems to have potential.
- Treble is a little sibilant, but not overly offensive. This is most likely from constructive interference of the woofer and tweeter due to lack of proper crossover.

Areas for improvement:

- Like any consumer grade speaker built to a price point, there are some obvious omissions in the quality of speaker cabinet and crossover construction.
- The woofer and tweeter are fairly far apart. A revised crossover design which lowers the crossover point and increases the slope of the acoustic crossover might help integrate the two drivers together. Estimated cost: $20-30 for the pair.
- Some acoustic foam in the cabinet and a couple of dowel braces should help tighten up the midbass. Estimated cost: $5-10 for the pair.

Summary:

- For the price, these are a no brainer. If you need something small and inexpensive, I don't think you can find a better deal at present.
- Even as is, they would make a decent gift to your friend. I would not be embarrassed of the sound quality. However if you would like to add a personal touch to them and improve the sound quality with the proposed modifications, you would likely still stay under your ~$50 budget. This is in fact exactly what I plan on doing this season.

Disclaimer:

I have no idea how easy these will be to find in a store near you. I hope that if you are interested in them that some will become available and that this suggestion has not been a huge lead-on.

Good luck with the project. I will try to take some pictures and do some measurements next week for the general benefit of the forum.

Regards,
David

thanks alot!

i went out to a radio shack that online said they were in stock, but they had none there. so i bought a pair of KLH 6.5" 2-ways for $25. looks like the same configuration as the HomePlug speakers regarding the simple crossover and the ported cabinet with no sound deading and boomy bass. Ill keep an eye out for the homeplugs however, as $15 for adequately amplified speakers is an amazing bargain.

Attachments

• prs1c-4115030_rshalt1_dt.jpg
    prs1c-4115030_rshalt1_dt.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 224
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.