I want to build a line array...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've been bamboozled! (tricked, that is) :bawling:

I had a closer look at the Bose speaker at the shop today. Those suckers aren't line arrays! They seem to use a lot of small (~2,5") drivers and problably using the same technique as those "bounce off the wall" projecting surround systems to project the sound in different directions. The drivers are not fitted frame-to-frame. Not even pointed in the same direction... They seem to be pointed in a specific direction and every other is pointing ~30 degrees off the main axis.

So I am going to drop this project for now. I have some spare "near high-end" Visaton parts laying around to experiment with. I'm gonna see what I can accomplish using these drivers instead. Just for the fun of it!

Wavebourn said:
Memory foam is good sound absorber, very wideband one. Though, very expensive...

I don't know what memory foam is, but maybe you have additional info on that?

Znyper said:

"very good but very expensive" ... be carefull of that stuff, especially the stuff with fancy names. most of that category is only good as long as you dont measure it. once measured, the illusion vanishes into air.

good room treatment is based on good engeneering, not on expensive materials. every loose and open stuff where the air movement can be transformed into heat like wool, open cell foam, etc will absorb broadband except the lower frequencies. for those you need more complex devices.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Znyper,

I was lucky enough to purchase one of Rick Craig's entry level kits and the results were astonishing. Every person that's listened to my arrays, layperson or audiophile, have rated them as the best or one of the best speakers they've ever heard. Have a look at Rick's website called Selah Audio

Here's a link to some pics of my arrays.

Regards,
Dan

Znyper said:

It is the last fashion for mattresses. I have couple on walls in my living room (one near the left array to damp reflections, and one on a rear wall). The rear one is covered by phony curtains, the left one is covered by a flag with my family herb.

Don't listen to theoreticians, listen to the music. Human perceptions are not well learned yet, because they are very subjective and a lot of "explanations" really were designed to cover economical issues. Money and beliefs, beliefs and money. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.