backloaded horn cabinet for 12" tannoy monitor gold

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about a GRF-R?

Hi, I have Tannoy GRF-R cabinets designed for the 15" Golds. Just tonight I tried Altec 12" drivers (414-16B) and it seems to load/react well. The 414's have low Fs and lower Qts, so they are good for BLH, but so are the 12" MGs. The point is, I think this cabinet design would work for the 12" Golds, in a kind of smart way... and it's not a complex cabinet. Look at the Tannoy Autograph thread, and I've posted pictures, diagrams, and questions. More info here:
http://tubino.smugmug.com/gallery/3684022#P-2-20 Good luck! I wish I had a pair of 12s to try in there... I'm using the 15's in Jensen Imperials, which are GREAT BLH's, but really made for 15s.

angeloitacare said:
Angelo, as I demonstrated on the Autograph thread :) I don't know anything about horns yet, or speakers in general for that matter -- I'm just starting to learn. But I can say that using a cabinet designed for that small a driver is probably not your best bet. From my admittedly limited experience, I would suggest that a horn significantly smaller than the GRF-R cabinet would not be a good idea. The GRF cabinet is not a monster, at all, BTW. I guess that's 100% subjective, but I'd call it large yet acceptably so. FWIW, my points of reference include equally tall floorstanders (Harmonic Precision Echelons in the same room), Electro-Voice Georgian 400s (wider, but corner horns), and the undeniably monstrous Jensen cabinets (5' x 3' x 2'). I also call Tannoy DMT 15s my favorite bookshelf speakers, so take that into account. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.