backloaded horn cabinet for 12" tannoy monitor gold - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default backloaded horn cabinet for 12" tannoy monitor gold

hi all

i just adquired a pair of 12" Tannoy monitor gold speakers. I want to built a backloaded horn cabinet for them. has anyone plans or suggestions ?

Angelo
Old 4th December 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm#cabinet
Old 4th December 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default thanks , Brett (NT)

Old 5th December 2007, 06:06 AM   #4
tubino is offline tubino  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How about a GRF-R?

Hi, I have Tannoy GRF-R cabinets designed for the 15" Golds. Just tonight I tried Altec 12" drivers (414-16B) and it seems to load/react well. The 414's have low Fs and lower Qts, so they are good for BLH, but so are the 12" MGs. The point is, I think this cabinet design would work for the 12" Golds, in a kind of smart way... and it's not a complex cabinet. Look at the Tannoy Autograph thread, and I've posted pictures, diagrams, and questions. More info here:
http://tubino.smugmug.com/gallery/3684022#P-2-20 Good luck! I wish I had a pair of 12s to try in there... I'm using the 15's in Jensen Imperials, which are GREAT BLH's, but really made for 15s.
Old 5th December 2007, 08:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi Rick

the drawing of the link is very much what i was thinking of. Not too difficult to be built.
I have seen yesterday another cabinet, that got my attention. However, the plan is not detailled

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~macinc/alf1.htm

what do you think ?

Angelo
Old 5th December 2007, 11:43 AM   #6
tubino is offline tubino  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by angeloitacare

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~macinc/alf1.htm

what do you think ?

Angelo
Angelo, as I demonstrated on the Autograph thread I don't know anything about horns yet, or speakers in general for that matter -- I'm just starting to learn. But I can say that using a cabinet designed for that small a driver is probably not your best bet. From my admittedly limited experience, I would suggest that a horn significantly smaller than the GRF-R cabinet would not be a good idea. The GRF cabinet is not a monster, at all, BTW. I guess that's 100% subjective, but I'd call it large yet acceptably so. FWIW, my points of reference include equally tall floorstanders (Harmonic Precision Echelons in the same room), Electro-Voice Georgian 400s (wider, but corner horns), and the undeniably monstrous Jensen cabinets (5' x 3' x 2'). I also call Tannoy DMT 15s my favorite bookshelf speakers, so take that into account.

Hide this!Advertise here!