Opinions: SS8531 or 8545

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well i have used the 8545 and 8546. my BIL has used the 8530 actually he just built norh 9.0 kits. so i have only experieence with these 3. dont the the DST website handy. is the 8531 one of teh new woofers. if so i hear they are very good. I would not be afraid to try them out. the 854x are older and more dated.

The SD motor of the 8531 will allow it to play at high levels without too much ditorsion. SS are know for their non-fatiguing sound. In a moderate room, I think that you will have no problems to get a decent 90-95db spl at your listening condition without pushing the driver too hard;)

I have both. However, I am yet to use the 8531, possibly in a couple of months.

From the frequency response graphes, I think that the 8531 is easier to work with, unless SS has applied more smoothing on the 8531 for marketing purpose (it is a revelator). From the response irregularities of the 8545 around 2-4k, I think the distortion can be much higher for this driver. The 8531 appears to be smoother. Note that the 8531 is much more expensive and is a later 6.5" version. Obviously, the 8531 can go lower than the 8545.

The external appearances of the magnet of both drivers appear to be the same and they weigh about the same.

The 8545 drivers are mounted on my NaO speakers and they sound pretty fine.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I've never seen the venerable 8545 measured head to head against the 8531G. Having said that, the 8531G is certainly smoother and has a more extended FR out to about 8KHz, making crossover work easier.

I suspect that they are pretty similar up to 1KHz in the non-linear distortion department. Remember both have SD-1 motors. Bass wise the 8531G probably exhibits a little less air noise (open basket). The 8531G also has a smaller magnet/higher Qts, and correspondingly optimised by a bigger ported box and goes lower, but the 8545 is no slouch in the bass department either.

Here's a roundup of 7" drivers, including the 8531G, and a snippet of the 8546 (8545 with Kevlar cone) and 8535 (smaller magnet/higher Qts, lighter cone version of 8545)

For a 2-way it looks superb. I've always wanted a NaO with 8531G...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.