Open baffle horns? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2007, 10:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I like your setup! Thanks for posting the pics. That's more or less what I had in mind with mounting my horns except I was not planning on using them in conjunction with conventional drivers, horns only along with my separate sub. I guess what my question really was, was whether or not to expect any of the really broad soundstage usually associated with OBs with the horns since the horns don't radiate out the back like more conventional drivers- Thanks for your replies and ideas guys-
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you really love the sound of your current speakers, and just want to up the punch then have you considered doing some sort of midbass 15" / 18" array OB to run next to the old speakers ? Cross them in around 250 - 300 Hz and you'll get more in the punch region plus the original sound you love.

Maybe there's reasons this won't work (I'm not really up on OB theory) but whenever I see someone who is happy with their current sound, but wants more punch I automatically think 'add a dedicated midbass'

Rob.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:19 PM   #13
RIP

Google Dr. Edgar's Speaker Builder article on his JBL LE-5 midrange horn. It had no back chamber, ergo, it was open baffle. For bass, you'll have to choose either horn or OB. You can find half a dozen LE-5's on ebay on any given day, but other drivers with a rising response will work.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hey I'm using a pair of those Edgar horns right now! They're not true dipoles in that the front side has ~10 - 15dB more output than the rear.

Rob.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Some fellas like to run compression drivers without the back caps; kind'a dipolish.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:58 PM   #16
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Really? On what sort of designs? I'm doing that myself, but I didn't realize others were as well. Any links?

cheers,

AJ
Old 4th December 2007, 12:04 AM   #17
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by RobWells
Hey I'm using a pair of those Edgar horns right now! They're not true dipoles in that the front side has ~10 - 15dB more output than the rear.

Rob.
I guess that would make them cardioid...not a bad thing.
Old 4th December 2007, 01:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA

Really? On what sort of designs? I'm doing that myself, but I didn't realize others were as well. Any links?

cheers,

AJ
I've run JBL 2420s and Altec 288s sans the caps but hearing no big difference (if any) I put them back on. There was some discussion of this on the Lansing Heritage site, evidently some early WE compression drivers had no back cap but an open protective screen.
Old 4th December 2007, 02:59 AM   #19
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, even with no rear cap on a compression driver, I don't think that would be considered OB for the simple fact that the driver still has a load against it due to the horn itself, right?

Also, if you're running your compression driver at a somewhat low-ish xover point, wouldn't not having the rear cap on it cause the driver to reach and/or exceed its Xmax prematurely?

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
Old 4th December 2007, 09:01 AM   #20
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chops
Also, if you're running your compression driver at a somewhat low-ish xover point, wouldn't not having the rear cap on it cause the driver to reach and/or exceed its Xmax prematurely?
i would guess, since a closed volume behind the membrane acts like a acoustical highpass filter, those guys exchange it for an electrical or digital one. playing at low volume may also help. i also would guess that is done to lower the f3 of the compression driver for playing it to deeper frequencies in a hifi low spl setting. instead of this, one could use a coaxial compression driver from bms or a unity style horn, both offering lower distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!