World Designs WD18BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Typical Peter Comeau design. Should be good for what it is -Peter isn't known for designing bad speakers. We briefly spoke about it and the latest WD floorstander over lunch at the last Withamfest meet in September. Not entirely to my taste as I don't like XOs in the telephone band, but I'd put money on it being far better than any similar 2-way commercial design near the price.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The WAD designs I've heard have a "house sound", just like any other manufacturer, and all of them are pretty good. My mains were originally one of their 3 way designs, but as I had no publication pressures, I was able to take a couple of years to redo the crossover design and modify the enclosures. You might well be able to do the same with those for much better end results.

It should. Peter's been in the game a long time -he recently left Mission to run WD (which takes over from the defunct WAD), & was the bloke who started Heybrook back in the days of yore. He has his own way of doing things, but never less than solid. IIRC, these were developed as a project speaker for Hifi World Magazine, which served a double purpose of talking newbies through LspCAD, in which they were initially modelled, before later listening tests & practical tuning.

FWIW, I can give you a good guesstimate of the sound, which will be a clean, 'British' 2 way presentation; decent clarity & imaging, modest bass for the size, work well in most rooms & positions. Not really to my taste (just like my boxes aren't to his, though he was polite enough not to say it loudly), but good for what they are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.