Help with MB Quart Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a spare set of MB Quart DWC 160 component speakers sitting around and want to put them to use. I cant seemed to find any "technical" specs about the woofer, so i have nothing to plug into winisd or similar.

What i do have is below

Size: 6.5"
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 40 - 32kHz
Sensitivity: 2.5dB
Power Range: 50 -120 Watts
Crossover Frequency: 5.200Hz

Components:
PQM 13 HX .5" (13mm) Discus Tweeter
DWC 160 6.5" (160mm) Discus Midrange Driver
QX 120 Crossover for Discus Series Systems

any idea what sort of box these may sound ok in ?

Im guessing they may have been designed for some sort of open baffle type as they are supposed to go in car doors.

any help appreciated :)

Hi,

If they are competently designed for in-car door use then the only
simple option that will sound balanced is open baffle preferably
driven by an AV amplifier with an added subwoofer.

They probably would sound OK is a well stuffed sealed box used
near a wall / corner but this is hardly a hi-fi arrangement.

Generally I find for in-car use the tweeters need L-pads.

:)/sreten.

I would suggest you measure them at least. I have seen car woofers with Q's around .5 so a sealed box at least is not out of the question.

Your stated sensitvity is incorrect, about 85-91 dB at 2.83V is where it should be. I didn't find much info on a quick search but that is a very high crossover point for a 6.5" woofer. If your tweeter is only 0.5" you should get better results with a larger tweeter.

For best results you will have to measure the drivers, redesign the crossover and likely replace the tweeters. If you wanted to use the tweeters you should look at doing a 3 way design. You should make sure your amplifier can handle a 4 ohm load also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.