Into Australia: customs, TT; & freight from US

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi - advice on 3 issues welcome:
I’m about to order 2 batches of speaker drivers into Australia:
1. One order would be about $A 2100 (USD 1100 – high end stuff) from Asia – apart from FX, freight and GST, is there a threshold above which there may be customs clearing charges?
(Weight is modest). The supplier isn’t geared for DIY or overly fluent in English wants T/T - I guess Telegraphic transfer.
2 Any comments on TT risk, etc?

The other order would be for about $A 1300 (USD 720) from the US, for about 108 lbs (49 kg) of 4 sub drivers.
USPS are reasonably priced for sea freight, up to about 44 lbs, but above that only by air - much higher cost. UPS are dearer, Fedex – awaiting reply.
Time is not the priority, saving $ is. I paid way less than this shipping similar weights from the UK ten years ago.

3. It could be four separate parcels, but any suggestions for a competitive sea freight company (preferably where quotes available easily online), that handles for other than companies?

TIA, Rick
:rolleyes:

Re: Into Australia: customs, TT; & freight from US

rick57 said:
Hi - advice on 3 issues welcome:
I’m about to order 2 batches of speaker drivers into Australia:
1. One order would be about $A 2100 (USD 1100 – high end stuff) from Asia – apart from FX, freight and GST, is there a threshold above which there may be customs clearing charges?
(Weight is modest). The supplier isn’t geared for DIY or overly fluent in English wants T/T - I guess Telegraphic transfer.

Hi Rick,

I've imported LOTS of stuff into Oz (560 parcels) over the last few years. If an item comes through a customs agent, which it definitely will if it goes through a shipping company, the average fee for clearance of each item is a minimum of $A60 plus GST on the charge (usually about $A100), and on the item itself. Every item is charged, although I've had some smaller ones under $A250 slip through without GST, but I never count on it. The CA fees are variable depending on the agent, and UPS, DHL and Fedex have their own, so no choice with who you use.

It's not worth lying about the values on the paperwork, whether freighted or posted, because if they suspect anything they can make it a very long and difficult process and Customs have huge powers. The first time I had something come through a customs agent, they told me I could save a lot of money, if I did the paperwork, and took it to Customs at Sydney airport. Never will I be so stupid again. Pay the money, it's not worth your sanity.

2 Any comments on TT risk, etc?

TT's have a low risk, as you do them through the bank, so the bank is your agent and it is their responsibiity to ensure the money reaches the correct accounts, and you are receipted for it, and of course to resolve any errors. My bank is CBA and there is a $A26.10 fee per transaction. Average transit time for the money is about 48 hours (Europe, US, HK, China) as it is despatched at the close of the business day in Oz, and will often go through an intermediary bank. IMO, the risk is lower than anything else with TT, as it's handled entirely through bank internal processes and you credit card or bank info are never divulged out of system.

I had a slight hassle once, where the seller told me they hadn't received payment yet after 72 hours. I went to the bank, and they had it fixed and to the seller within 24 hours. Their intermediary, the Bank of NY had a computer error they'd missed, but found it with CBA's prompting.

Your biggest risk is the integrity of the people you're dealing with overseas, ie, do they send the stuff, is it correct, is it well packed etc.

Oh, <b>PAY FOR INSURANCE!!</b>

The other order would be for about $A 1300 (USD 720) from the US, for about 108 lbs (49 kg) of 4 sub drivers.
USPS are reasonably priced for sea freight, up to about 44 lbs, but above that only by air - much higher cost. UPS are dearer, Fedex – awaiting reply.
Time is not the priority, saving $ is. I paid way less than this shipping similar weights from the UK ten years ago

3. It could be four separate parcels, but any suggestions for a competitive sea freight company (preferably where quotes available easily online), that handles for other than companies?

From the US, if you're not in hurry, get it sent via USPS surface as 4 packages, insured. I had 4 sub drivers sent this way late last year, as well as 6 horn compression drivers (17kg each + boxes), several vintage EV and Altec drivers. All arrived safe and sound.
The USPS postal calculator is very accurate. I did one for you at 26.5 lbs each, and then added $US300 of insurance and it was $US55 per driver.
http://ircalc.usps.gov/speed.asp?Co...s=26.5&Ounces=0&cmdSubmit=Continue&Contents=1
Max shippable weight to Oz through the mail is 20kg / item.

The beauty of posting is that if each item, including postage, comes in at less than $A499 each, you usually don't have to pay GST. If you do, AP will send you a 'red card' in your mail, saying that a package has arrived and you need to collect it at your local PO, and the charges you need to pay. Much simpler than a CA and almost always cheaper.

Tip: with insurance you usually pay in $US50 increments. Pay an extra level up, that way if it goes missing, claim for the value of the postage too. If USPS lose it, why should you have paid them for the priviledge.
Although people like to bitch about them Australia Post are really excellent, and get packages there in good condition (pack extra well) and are very fair and prompt in the event of a claim. USPS are pretty good too.
I've had 2 items go missing. One was paid for by USPS promptly. The other one the seller 'forgot' insurance, so after a lot of hassling, he is sending me a refund personally. Remember the sender is the client for the insurance, so they are the ones who have to collect it on your behalf. Companies are usually good with this, individuals can be deoending on how much hassle they feel the process to be.

Insured packages automatically get more respect (no one wants to pay claims) and they're tracked through the system. USPS has no online tracking monitor yet.

Get the sender to email you the package and insurance numbers. AP will be able to tell whether any package has reached Australia then.
Surface mail transit time can be anywhere from 6 - 14 weeks, and your boxes may arrive one at a time, so if one turns up solo, chill, maybe the rest were sent in another container on a different ship.

AP is excellent for pricing, USPS is more expensive, esp for air, some places in Europe and Asia (esp HK) can be expensive for posting, and for smaller items courier companies might be better. But don't forget any CA fees and GST in your calculations.
If I can, I try to post items; it's the minimum hassle and expense IME.

If there is a hassle with Customs, ie a recent package mailed to me, the seller (ebay) forgot to declare value on the sticker on the box, I rang the Customs hotline, got the info forms faxed, filled them in and faxed return with a print of the ebay auction page (gives value of item). There was a chance I was not required to pay GST, but I filled in the form including GST and my CC details, and was never charged. Professional and softly, softly approach works wonders.

An option for sending packages that are too heavy to post from Europe or the US is freight forwarding, consolidated. You'll need to get on the phone and ring around to get quotes for this, and get them in writing (fax)!!!!!!!!! Consolidated cargo simply means they will accept your package at say, LA, and then add it to their next container, which they ship when full, or perhaps can fit it in with a large oddly shaped item for another customer. Most will be able to give you a good idea of when it will arrive. You'll still pay customs agent fees and GST. This is probably an option in Asia too, but it depends where. In all cases make sure the seller, shipper etc have correct and accurate information on where to deliver your items.
You may get a better response frm companies if they think <i>youre</i> a company, rather than an individual.

I find UPS, DHL and Fedex to be stupidly expensive, although sometimes they have a package deal of a box of a certain size, and max weight for a fixed shipping fee. TNT can do items from most parts of the world too, and are often better prices, but make sure your sizes and weights are accurate, and you <b>GET THE QUOTE IN WRITING</b>. I can't emphasise that enough. Once your stuff is here, if there's a difference in opinion about the costs, a fax from them with the quote valuation gives you lots of ammo in argument. Otherwise, they won't release your stuff, and no amount of tantrums, threats or tears will help. I know, I've tried them all. If you don't pay for it, they can auction it off later to recoup their monies owing, as the shipper is usually responsible to customs for any fees owing, which they then have to get from you.

This can be a bit of a nerve wracking process first time, but correct paperwork, professional approach, relaxed attitude and patience will pay big dividends for you.

I've used Burlington Air Express to ship heavy stuff from the States, try www.baxglobal.com.

Fortunately, I fly to and from the States a couple of times a year so I just bring stuff back with me. I bought 4 Adire DPL12s, 4 seas W22s and a pair Seas Millenium tweeters back last time. Much easier that way. What drivers are you getting?

I would be very wary about sending money anywhere in Asia unless it is a store of good standing or someone you know.

Steve

from the US

and to the US I use our postal service unless someone begs for FedX or UPS. I have no customs hassles with the USPS receiving stuff in from Europe and the Far EAst all the time.

Of course, the customs have been "gamed" by industrial giants who have lawyers to do their work -- if you are importing headset elements for cellphones there is virtually no duty. If you are importing headset elements for any other purpose the duty is, I think 15%. If you are coming into the US with dutiable stuff, be cleanshaven, wear a shirt and tie and they won't give you a hassle. If you look like you just fell off a camel you will have a problem.

The US Customs Service has duty rates on their web site, but, as with all things governmental, it's almost indecipherable and very difficult to find.

Thanks! Anyone bought a speaker or amp?

Thanks for your helpful responses, esp Brett (560 parcels! - you sure are busy).

When you see the huge range of commercial (or sometime completed diy) stuff for sale, eg speakers or pre-amps, my moth begins to water a little. A fellow member of the Melbourne Audio Club bought a light (pwm) power amp & recently a Behringer EQ from the US. Both are low weight and run through a step down transformer.

(I contacted Bax Global but they said they only dealt with companies). It'd be very handy to find a shipper that does large packages, for individuals, by sea. I'll try Burlington, though their name implies air only. I'll also try TNT (whose web site as playing up this am) and DHL.

Cheers

Q/ New prospects

Quote from Brett:
"the average fee for clearance of each item is a minimum of $A60 plus GST on the charge (usually about $A100), and on the item itself.
Every item is charged . . ."

It's not clear to me what you meant by "each item . . . ), and on the item itself"
If eg there are 9 drivers in a shipment (valued say $2100, how many clearance fee(s) would be due?

TNT were very dear (air only).

Quote:
AP is excellent for pricing
Can Australia Post arrange freight IN?

Apparently Grace Removals can ship domestic stuff by sea. Waiting for a price now.

Cheers
:cool:

Re: Q/ New prospects

rick57 said:
Quote from Brett:
"the average fee for clearance of each item is a minimum of $A60 plus GST on the charge (usually about $A100), and on the item itself.
Every item is charged . . ."

It's not clear to me what you meant by "each item . . . ), and on the item itself"
If eg there are 9 drivers in a shipment (valued say $2100, how many clearance fee(s) would be due?

If all your drivers are in one consignment, then you should only be charged on customs fee by the agent. My last consignment of two compression drivers from Germany was charged about $A110 (incl GST) even though they were in two boxes, they were one shipment, so only had one "number". Each number entered and processed has fees attached. The bigger and more complicated, the more the fees. IIRC a friend who gets containers from Thailand pays ~$A350 / container in fees.

For your nine drivers (guesstimated example)
- Customs fees =$A100 for the consignment + 10% GST = $A110
- GST on drivers = $A2100 + shipping costs = total : GST = 10% of total.
- - If you don't live in a metro area, there may be a delivery charge to get them to your residence / work. If you are metro, I'd pick them up so any potential problems can be rectified asap.

Quote:
AP is excellent for pricing
Can Australia Post arrange freight IN?

Sorry, I was using an example of how good we actually have it in despatching items through AP (I send as many as I get), compared to the prices charged by other postal services. AP cannot arrange frieght in.

Apparently Grace Removals can ship domestic stuff by sea. Waiting for a price now.

I didn't know this. Please let us know what they're like for fees and service.

Your earlier post re BAX: most shippers won't deal with domestic clients because of the stress it causes them. ABNs are free, so get one and use it, and make out like you're a large company. Most of the people I've dealt with would have no idea I'm a small trader, because of my approach, and the letterheads I whipped up. Note: I don't try to defraud anyone, and pay all my bills and taxes etc, just work the system to my advantage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.