Busted my Tweeter? Aura NT1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, my first post, I do enjoy these forums much.

I am building my first project, Zaph's ZBM4 bookshelves, and think I just busted one of my my Aura NT1 tweeters; what do you think?

busted%20aura%20nt1.jpg

The picture is kinda blurry, but basically I very gently PUT MY FINGER ON THE DOME (like it says precisely not to do on madisound.com), and it gave a tiny "krinkle" sound and now has an infinitesimal dent in it, less than 1mm across. There is also about a .5cm "wilted" section around the dent, which still retains its overall shape but is just discolored.

Do I order a new one or try building my speakers with this and see how it goes?

Thank you in advance for any advice! Enjoying my first project, even if I make a few dumb mistakes along the way,

Sam T

well, building with this one does not cost money, so i would give it a try. if they obviously sound disorted, you need a new one. if not, try a blind comparison of the two. if you have the crossover, i think you could test the tweeters without the box, since i doubt they need a closed volume behind them. just connect crossover to tweeter and amp and give it a try with low volume.

then again, those tweeters cost 9$ :)

Thanks MaVo, I think I will try it with this tweeter and see how it goes. You're right I have the other non-broken one to compare it with.

Last night I put together the crossover (my first), just twisting the leads together for everything without solder, and hooked up both the tweeter and woofer, put the whole rig in the bottom of a cardboard box to keep the cat from eating it, then connected it (very cautiously) to my amp. After telling my wife to "keep the number for the fire department handy" I turned on the amp at a low volume, and lo and behold...

The thing worked! I mean the whole thing, not just the tweeter, but the woofer as well. What a great rush to try something new and have it actually work! This is the whole reason I do-it-myself, for that kind of high.

Now on to construction of the enclosure, a whole other adventure into unknown territory...

Thanks DcibeL, yes I plan to do the soldering on the crossover soon, but last night was just a test. Now I'll unhook everything and lay it out a little tighter than I had it so it fits in (what will be) the small enclosure, then comes the soldering fun. And after that, gluing to what I think will be a small square of double-thickness cardboard for now.

Hmm, soldering or gluing first? If I want a nice tight layout, but with inductors spaced apart, etc, maybe I should glue to the board first, then solder?

Hmm...

If I try this tweeter I know I will have to buy an extra one so I can touch it. Who could resist touching that? I want to touch it! Give me one to touch now! :p

Touching tweeter domes is such a common problem that some tweeters come with grills on them :p

You'd think a Titanium dome would be strong enough you could touch it without hurting it, wouldn't you? I guess it's EXTREMELY thin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.