FE206E+woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I want to make a laudspeaker with A Fostex FE206E as a mid-high unit, plus a woofer for the bass.

The FE206E will be in a closed box. Now I'm searching for a woofer with a similar sensivity to the FE206E, 96db.

In hifi application I found the SLS-400, it has 94 db.

Do you know other woofer?

This might interest you:

Attachments

• p1010003.jpg
    p1010003.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,156
Not mine, that's my friend Clark's PA setup, built for him by Terry Cain. Lower horn is a de-rigure J-bin, 206 is mounted sealed with a lens (short front-horn). The cabinets to either side are (IIRC) the Factory design for the limited edition FE166ES-R of a few years ago. Clark apparantly got about 115db out of this setup with little very little distortion. I'm currently working on a design for something similar, with a few of my own twists.

Hi testarossa2k,

Do you already have the FE206Es?

If not, my experience is that they are not suitable for all music.

I used mine open-baffle above about 160Hz, with open-baffle bass below that.

In fact, to be totally truthful, and in spite of the many fans it has (most of whom seem to listen to small scale vocals as far as I can tell), I don't believe the FE206E is suitable for any music.

I won't go into the reasons I think this, in case you already have them, and they suit your music tastes, but I just want to flag a caution to others that I would recommend they check that they have a chance of portraying their musical preferences.

In good faith.

D OB G said:
... my experience is that they are not suitable for all music...
This is very true!
One text that should be printed on FE206's box is "NOT SUITABLE FOR LISTENING ELECTRONIC MUSIC"...
These units have an excellent sound and an excellent frequency response.
If you are going to listen all but 'electronic' music, you will love these Fostex' by their own (alone).
If you like electro-jazz... add a woofer.
If you like, for example, Leona Naess, you will love her voice on those Fostex Open Baffled... and add a woofer... There are a lot of low frequency info on her music...

The best part of FE206 is the fact of you don't need any crossover in the middle of 'sensible' frequencies...

True. It depends what you do with them. They can handle Rick Wakeman etc., as well as most anything else out there short of compression drivers if you load them right. Out of preference I'd want them supported by dedicated woofers and supertweeters for that sort of music; XO for the LF at either 200Hz or 500Hz depending on what you need, and at 10KHz for the HF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.