Modification KLf-30 klipsch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi every one. just wanted to share my experience with some mods i have done with my klipsch KLf-30 speakers.

Equipment used.
KRELL FPB-600 amp
Krell KRC-HR pre amp
Hk DVD-23

Klipsch KLF-30 speakers.

I know that there are not many fans of Horns here , but just in case some one could educated me or share my experience with the mods and give further suggestions.

1. The driving horse is Krell FPB 600 a 600w class A per channel 8ohm ohm is a sort of over kill for these speakers.

2. these speakers have a rated sensitivity of 103 Db , with 200 W rated rms handling power.

3. Now the issue is that mids are bit honky, highs no so refined , bass is muddy, not to mention that its a three way system with two horns crossed over at 850 Hz and 7 Khz.

4. The mids and tweeters give in at about 150-200 watt peak power and i am sure that amp is no where near clipping!! so i changed the mid/ compression driver with peavey Rx-22 (at about 120$ each) . A/B test showed anormous clarity , sountstage was upfront, no resonating, although lacking some warmth of previous driver, this Rx-22 is rated 70W Rms with limited bandwith used i.e 850Hz-7Khz i expect the power handling to incresse to be about 100W rms, >Tthis mid really went much higher in volume wihtout distortion as compared to previous but still at higher volume at about 200 watts the squawker given in distoriion and lots of it just exponential increse!! i donot know may be its just th limit of any driver ,or near field effects, so i opened the cross to just see a pathetic cross over with average quality capaicotrs , autoformer and iron ore inductors, i assume its due to the sturation of the coil that induces distortion at higher power levels. i damped the horn with dampind material and the sound was definitely much cleaner .

4. Now my question is that can i redo the crossover with air core inductors, and putiing out autorformer/impedance matching transformer. ?

5. Last question is that i by passed the two 12' woofers and connected the out put to a 18' black widow woofer, Oh my the bass for which this so famous for was amazing, non resonant , total toal control, transients awesome, splendidi indeed, but as the cross over wis loss pass 850Hz ssecond order ther was pronounced dip above 200 Hz fue woofer large size and the over all sound stage lacked the mid bass and the ambience within this range i.e 200-800Hz of male voice harmonics. My idead is to use a pair of eminence mid bass drivers? plese do render advice so as not to make a fiasco of my investmnet. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.