Esotar 330: Measured Science or Mystical Fiction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally, it looks like the Esotar is the predecessor of the SS9700 :D

Sorry, I got confused with the nomenclature of the MBHO mics....
http://www.mbho.de/t2.htm Click on the mbnm550el. That's it. Cost is around 360€ if you buy directly at MBHO (in case someone is interested in).
I suppose frequency wise the QTC and the MBHO should be on par. But, what is linear... a philosophical question...
BTW. I once considered to buy a stereo piar of the QTC... took Schoeps instead ;)

I am very much interested in your tweeter results. Have you posted them somewhere?

Did you also measure midranges?

Do you think distortion correlates to compression very well?

Best,
Leif

Btw: I did not intend to say that the Accuton is not good. It just appears to me, that it is as good as the other tweeters costing >200. But there is no stellar difference to the Esotar either. Sometimes business makes sense... And I had a look at this Number One tweeter on my own, and it is not as linear as I was told... :( will never post hear say again...:smash:

Leif;

I am very much interested in your tweeter results. Have you posted them somewhere?

Nope. I will consider doing that after nest round.

Did you also measure midranges?

Not much but some yes.

Do you think distortion correlates to compression very well?

I'm not sure I understand your question but there is a direct connection between compression and distortion. Non linear suspension and motor casues distortion and also compression. The thermal compression is a little more tricky one could say (at least to my mind) since there are several timeconstants at play.

I have started to look into this thermal thing and will design a study this year to map the thermal behaviour of hifi drivers in typical speakers.

I also want to clarify what I wrote about non-linear mic's.. what I meant was I doubt (but I'm not sure of course) that your mic is non-linear enough to give that peak of distortion as you mentioned. Did not mean linearity frequency wise.

Have a nice evening! :)

/Peter

I meant frequency linearity...
Did you measure either the Morel mdm55 or Dynaudio D76?

Concerning the compression: If distortion in terms of THD correlates to compression, than these modern designs of Scanspeak with rather high k2 should have a high compression aswell, shouldn't they? If distortion correlates to higher order distortion than the picture will become quite different.

The next question coming in my mind is, whether IMD is also correlating to distortion and if so, to what components?

Have a nice day

I have not measured the Morel or Dynaudio mids you mention.

Concerning the compression: If distortion in terms of THD correlates to compression, than these modern designs of Scanspeak with rather high k2 should have a high compression aswell, shouldn't they?

I don't know if "high" is the right word but some of the mechanisms* in LS drivers that casues distortion (HD and IMD) also causes compression.

* Non-linear suspension and non-linear motor.

The next question coming in my mind is, whether IMD is also correlating to distortion and if so, to what components?

Yes, IMD stands for InterModulationDistortion. Feeding a single sine into a non-linear device will produce harmonic distortion.. that is even and odd multiples of the original sine.

Feed two sines of different frequency into a non-linear device and you get not only harmonic distortion but even sum and difference tones as a function of the two original sines.. IMD.

/Peter

That's right, but the question in my mind (in reagrds to IMD) is whether the problems sum up to what is expected according to the distortion measurements or if the problem worsenes upon costimulation.

Example: is the harmonic distortion in terms of integer multiple (is this correct english?) of 2k and 3k when testing a 2k+3k sine signal larger than when testing a single sine 2k and 3k individually?

So, does single sine wave excitation distortion measurement underestimate the problem or not? I don't know...

Best,
Leif

P.s.: I wondered, since the THD of the ringradiator is according to my knowledge between 0.3% and 1%, primarily due to k2. So, bringing these results in-line with your Accuton and SS9700 data, I started to wonder... what would you say?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.