HM130C0 - distortion & off-axis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my first truly DIY speaker project, I'm going for the whole enchilada: Spherical enclosures (cast concrete), a Behringer DCX2496, and stereo subs.

I've got a pair of Neo3PDR tweeters, and will likely get a pair of NHT 1259 subs from Madisound. I'm curious, though, if my HM130C0 mids will work well with a 4th order xover at 90hz to the subs, how well the fare against newer drivers, and if the off-axis performance is any good.

Nice tweeters you have there. As for off-axis response of the Audax with the Neo3PDR's, I would think they should do fairly well with a 2-3 KHz lowpass. I've never seen any results from thorough testing of these Audax drivers, so I can't really say much in regards to them. Sensitivity seems pretty respectable for what they are. However, ever since I first came across these a long while back, I've wondered if their $90 price tag could really be justified, versus slightly cheaper offerings with comparable drivers from other manufacturers like Seas, etc. Also, from my own relatively small bit of personal experience, after years of toying around with subwoofers and large big-buck high excursion drivers, I've finally come to the conclusion that I much prefer crossing a woofer much higher to a midbass than you'd normally cross a subwoofer, (ie: usually anywhere from around 150-250 Hz, if a 4th order slope is required), using woofers that are suitable for doing that, and placing them in very close proximity to the mid drivers. For some reason, this seems to sound better to me with music. I've always assumed this is probably due to the slight decrease in group delay obtained from crossing at a higher frequency, as well as a better overall integration with the rest of the system. As a side benefit, demands from the midbass drivers are greatly reduced. Speaking of which, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's done this, or anything similar, with the NHT/MAD 1259's. I don't think I've ever seen an anechoic freq response graph of these drivers. I'd be interested to see just how high they can be used while still obtaining the best possible results. Anyway, goodluck, and have fun. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.