Seas ER15RLY vs. Peerless HDS Nomex (830873)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the responce, right now it´s 50/50! :)
Since I'm going to use a an active filter I can adjust the LF responce if I want but I think the extra bass from the "0.5" will be enough (as sreten also wrote)
Since I haven't heard any of them I would be very happy to get some comments from someone who has!

Ok, not to start a flaming war in here but according to some, CSD doesn't show anything more then the THD and FR graphs already do. Just a different way of looking at the same data. I stopped looking at them completely but that is just me. It's also been said that once your x-over is installed, it will make both CSD graphs look similar, so I pay more attention to THD.

What I would be curious about is the difference in X-max. Granted in a MTM speaker x-max is less of an issue because you have double the woofers but 3.5mm to 5.0mmm is a big difference. Can anyone comment on that?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It is said that drivers with short Xmax mostly sound better ... but with these drivers and the small difference in Xmax its hardly an issue in terms of sound quality ... but it may be an issue in terms of power compression and distortion

Personally I would consider 4 to 6 woofers each side :cool:

I do not think anyone auditioned them in an identical condition (except Zaph, but he didn't use them in a design). And keep in mind that a driver can sound different depending on HOw it is used.

For a 2.5 way design, distortions below 300 Hz is important. I'd personally choose the Peerless for this reason. Also, I'd use a bit larger inductor even for the midrange woofer to achieve real full BSC for the system. The distortion profile of this driver calls for this approach IMO. Read Zaph's comment on the relationship between a driver's distortion profile and BSC. Find it in his blog (October 29, 2007).

You are right Jay_WJ, the implementation is very important. More important than the difference between the seas an peerless woofer I guess.

I really hope there are some people that actually listens to different woofers before chosing one for a new design. Just to listen to them full range (or with a simple 1st order filter) can tell you a lot about the sound.

Interesting about the BSC....I need to think about it and maybe even do a test later....but now I have to go to sleep! :eek:

I've only seen DIY designs using the 830873, not the Seas. Though the larger brother of the Seas, the ER18RNX, is widely VERY highly regarded.

However, in any comparisons I have seen done between speakers [involving either of those you mentioned] the 830873 came out on top and was very well liked. The only example I can recall at the moment is Brandon's [Augerpro] "Metal vs. Softy" over on the HTGuide Forum.

Thanks for the responce, right now it´s 50/50! :)
Since I'm going to use a an active filter I can adjust the LF responce if I want but I think the extra bass from the "0.5" will be enough (as sreten also wrote)
Since I haven't heard any of them I would be very happy to get some comments from someone who has!

I've used several similar Peerless drivers, and like them. The 830991 is a glass fiber cone version. I think its midrange performance is exceptional. My measurements with HOLM show it to be very clean as well.

The Glass-Fibre Composite (GFC) cone offers a unique acoustic and visual experience. Specifications: *Power handling: 30 watts (IEC 2685 18.1) *VCdia: 1" *Le: 0.33 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.0 ohms *Frequency response: 66-7,000 Hz *Fs: 66 Hz *SPL: 87 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 0.24 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.0 *Qes: 0.58 *Qts: 0.49 *Xmax: 4.55 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 6", 5.275" across flats, Cutout diamter 4.75", Depth 2.75".
  • Truncated cast aluminum frame
  • Glass-Fibre Composite (GFC) cone with half-roll rubber surround
  • Long-throw voice coil
  • Shorting rings for reduced distortion
  • Under-spider and voice coil ventilation

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.