Speaker Workshop - Pls Guide me through initial setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built Claudio's cable jig and am following closely the instructions from both Claudio's SW Tutorial and Unofficial SW Manual.

This was to generate a 1k sine wave for the sound card calibration. I have tried two sound cards: M-Audio Transit USB and SoundMax. Both cards had passed Sound Card Functionality Check, etc.

The problem is that comparing to the example in the Manual, my generated Test.in.l file always has clipped signals that won't start until after 19 ms. This happens to both sound cards. I have tried to reduce the "volume" setting with no effect.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Bill

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi,
I use SW and built Eric Wallin's jig. He gives a pretty good tutorial on setting the levels here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/tammie_eric/audio/SW/level_set/level_set.html

Though written for the jig, it'll still work for Claudio's cable setup.

The fact that you are getting a signal (though clipped) means the cables are most likely correct.
As for the time delay, you'll need to adjust latency (I think). It's been about a year since I seriously used SW.

Likewise - been a few months since I did the calibration....

Don't worry about when the impulse starts. I dont' think that matters. For example - you just advance your marker for the measurements starting just prior to your impulse. Whether it happens at 1 msec o 19 msec is of no consequence.

I always set Speaker Workshop's volume in the options page to 100 - and vary the volume and wave settings in Windows to get the desired level.

Can you please post a screen shot of your soundcard mixer settings? (ie. volume and wave output and volume input) so we can see?

Thanks,
David.

Whe it comes to impedance measurements - I find I get the least noise using just sound card output at a 9K output level (ie. quite low mixer settings).

Let's get you below clipping first, then we'll see.

Jay Butterman's SW manual is very good at helping you calibrate / configure your PC for SW use. Just have to read it a few times over first.

Cheers,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.