Visaton B200 vs Audax PR170M0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, a couple of thoughts:

the Audax is no doubt a fine midrange driver - spec'ed at 100dB, a single unit already has higher sensitivity than your stated goal

B200 has far better low end response and while 4dB lower in sensitivity than the Audax , it's still pretty darn close to your figure.

While I've not heard the Audax, I have heard the Visaton several times in moderate to fairly small OBs - it's more than a little bit musically involving. I would think you could try a lower frequency for the low crossover. (i.e easily below 200).

There may very be no such thing as a true high efficiency, Full Range (20-20K) driver, but for my money the Visaton B200 does a darn good job covering the most critical range. If my music room was large enough, it would definitely be on my list.

Argeed, it may need some assistance above 12k for some situations; depending on your preference for horn or ribbons, I can envision a simple HP filter to something like Fostex FT17H at the budget end, or FT7RP, Fountek Neo Cd3.0, or Visaton's own TL16H, horn or MHT12 ribbon.

Be prepared for that last octave (or portion,depending on your selected XO) to cost more than the 8 or so preceding it. I've given up on trying for anything below 40Hz

FWIW, I'd suggest starting with a single B200 per side. After about 200-300 hrs of break-in and living with it full range, then consider whether you're missing anything at either end. (with Planet10 phase plugs and EnABL treatment, you could well be more than satisfied without)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.