My Peerless Tower tweeter recomendation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2003, 09:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter

Thanks for the encouragment with the HDS woofers. The little sensitivity peak at 4khz I think can be fixed by crossing over a little early (use components for 3K knowing the peak will move reponse XO to about 4K). The build quality looks great (only time will tell).
I dumped the D26 idea before I bought the Peerless 811815. My most promising prospect is now the Vifa D27TG-05-06. The paper response curve looks totally clean from 2k to 20k with 1 bd of extra sensitivity over the 850439's.
My last speakers were the same type of match and the only crossover tweak that offered improved sound was removing the 2ohm resister to pad the tweeter. I liked the extra bd of brightness.
The Scan Speaks are nice from what I've heard, but a little out of budget for this project and they look like they would need some crossover tweaking. I am a big advocate of simple low order crossovers. I would like to try a series XO, but 4ohm (2 8's in parallel) woofer and 6ohm tweeter.
Thanks to all for your interest and tips.
Old 26th May 2003, 10:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Re: Tweeter

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Donaldson

I dumped the D26 idea before I bought the Peerless 811815. My most promising prospect is now the Vifa D27TG-05-06. The paper response curve looks totally clean from 2k to 20k with 1 bd of extra sensitivity over the 850439's.

Brian, The D27's may look attractive on paper, but they have roughly twice the distortion as the Peerless tweeters I've measured. I would rather use a Peerless or Morel product vs. the Vifa tweeter you mention.

Scott
Old 27th May 2003, 02:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hey Scott

I just got back from a weekend near you at Lake Travis.

I'm a little perplexed by the price range in dome tweeters. There doesn't seem to be a big hole in the $30 to $150 range. It makes me wonder what ScanSpeak does that can make their D2905/9900 so expensive. And also why doesn't anyone publish their distortion curves?

My complaint with the Peerless unit was the way is just snaps together. If the thing had a metal face plate with screws holding it to the magnet structure and a $50 price tag I would have bought it, installed it and likely love it. Believe me, I love a bargain, but something rubs me wrong about putting a $17 driver in a $400/Each (materials only) speaker.

I guess I'll order the Vifa's and try both. mayby that's what diy is all about. one will go in these speakers and I'll make some small bookshelf speakers for my daughter or something. She's only four but wants her own stereo. That's my girl

Thanks for your input

Brian
Old 27th May 2003, 03:18 AM   #14
Account Disabled

How about the Seas t27TFFC?

It is rather flat, and has the diaphram area perfect for a first order XO.

-Paul
Old 27th May 2003, 09:18 AM   #15
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulHilgeman
How about the Seas t27TFFC?

It is rather flat, and has the diaphram area perfect for a first order XO.

-Paul

what has the diaphragm area to do with the XO?
Old 27th May 2003, 03:07 PM   #16
Account Disabled

Generally larger tweeters that have 27mm domes can play lower with less distortion, ie. t27Tffc, Vifa DX25 etc. Smaller tweeters must be crossed both higher and at higher orders. Look at the XT25 from vifa, most people wont go with much below 2500 Hz or 2nd order electrical. Or the OW series.

-Paul Hilgeman

Hide this!Advertise here!