Needing advice for Open Baffle Tannoy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Needing advice for Open Baffle Tannoy

Hi folks. Me again. I'll build (or try to..) the Autograph starting soon.. but since it's a "big" project, time consuming, I'm thinking about building a pair of Open Baffles to use my 15" Tannoy Golds right now, so I can have music in my workshop/studio..

I know very little about OBs. I've seen projects that are tall and slim, some quite lower in height and wider, with "wings".

Any suggestions about average size and shape these baffles should have? I'll use them in corners, in a room that's aprox 14' x 23'.

I'd be tempted into building something say, 4 feet high, 2 feet wide, with wings running from zero at the top, 2 feet deep at the bottom, going slightly inward (toward the back) to help it stand up.

Driver positioning: should it be centered on the baffle? or could it be a bit lower, say one foot from the floor with baffle tilted bacward a bit to aim at ear level?

Looking forward for your advices, and your experiments.

p.s. oh, I forgot. Should I lack bass.. I have an extra pair of Altec 15" that I could add..
Old 18th November 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Tannoys are very low Q, you're going to need those Altecs...

How about something like the Visaton 'NoBox' http://www.visaton.com/en/bauvorschl...anleitung.html
using the Tannoys in place of the B200, and the Altecs as woofers?
Old 18th November 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree. I have yet to see a Tannoy coax with a moderate-high Qts. Have there ever been any? I'd imagine that obtaining a satisfying amount of bass from those lowish Q drivers alone would be very difficult, if not impossible. I'd try to refrain from using any EQ on them, if at all possible. Since you already have the Altec woofers, use them. Any idea regarding the Q of those woofers? Regardless, I also agree that creating something similar to the Visation NoBox project should probably obtain good results. Place the Altec at the bottom close to the floor, and the Tannoy closer to the top near ear level, preferably a bit lower if the baffles are tilted..or whatever floats your boat. You should consider placing the Tannoy's just a tiny bit off center on the baffle too, as it can often help smooth out frequency response a little. As for exact dimensions, who knows? Especially without exact parameters. And even then, with just about any OB, I'd only use any modeling as a rough guideline or starting point. Find a way to experiment. Keep adding on to the baffle width and wings until you get the desired results. Then, put it together and build the final design.
Old 18th November 2007, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Open Baffle Tannoy

Well, I might try just the same, so that I can use the Tannoys and have some music in the workshop.

I equally have HPD 385A Tannoys, but specs seem to be close to the Golds: both total Q are around .2 and .18, Qa 2 and 2.4, Qe .22 and .2

http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/Tannoy_ts.html#anchor45945

I'll have to have a closer look to these Altecs and let you know what they are.

Thanks.

More about it very soon.
Old 19th November 2007, 02:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default The Altec Drivers

Hi guys,

I have the Altec for a while and didn't mind to verify what they are.. So, here it is. Model 421-8H. They are meant for musical intruments, so, I guess they're not very good for the open baffle? And they seem to go quite high..

Let me know what you think.

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ele-Small.html

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...nts/421-8h.htm
Old 19th November 2007, 07:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Qts of .25 is probably a bit low for OB unless you use some LF equalization, but you won't know until you try them, in combination with the Tannoys maybe they'll be OK?

If you do something like the xover in this project
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

it's an easy way to find out, it'll just cost you one (large) inductor) ;-)
Old 19th November 2007, 10:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The Tannoys seem to have a loose suspension shown by a low Fs and a high Vas. I would have thought that the cone will flap on an OB
Old 19th November 2007, 01:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default What are the desirable parameters then?

I thought to use them on open baffle to:
1- start somewhere to explore this concept
2- get acquainted again to my Tannoys, that I miss bitterly (I'm tired of dome tweeters..)
3- have music in my workshop

My intention was to try them at low volume, just for having music around.

What would be the "desirable" TS parameters for an open baffle? for having decent bass?
Old 19th November 2007, 01:25 PM   #9
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi, i actually had some of the 12" HPD's in Open Baffle for a while, and they did sound better in the cabinets IMO, they did not sound to bad in OB, bass was alright, i have a smallish 11ft Square room, and it was adequate, all i did was take some spare wood, roughly cut it and plonked them in

Click the image to open in full size.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7...oto0147cv4.jpg

Old 19th November 2007, 10:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Just trying..

Hello "Inrank"

Thanks for your post and your pic. These are HPD-315, isn't it? (12").

I have 12" and 15" HPDs, and a pair of 15" Golds. I'll try both pairs of 15" and see what happens. Better than no music, and the board will be used to give a try to other existing drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!