Speaker Design Critique

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
With one woofer on each side, one will be playing into the side walls, unless the room is very big ... dont you think that could cause problems ?

Another thing ... with a slim front fore a 6", which I suppose is the goal with this design, there is little room fore the sub drivers to be coupled together, magnet to magnet

Have you thought about building it with a Rythmik Servo-subkit ? ... should be quite good

tinitus, with 2 seas H1305's in the bottom there is exactly 1.04" between the two magnet assemblies

Attachments

• speakerclearance1.png
    speakerclearance1.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 400
If you need to minimize the width of the cabinet (not necessary unless for WAF, IMO), I would suggest a 3.5/4-way in the way of TMWW or TMWWS (S for side-firing sub).

I'm thinking Seas 27TBFCG crossed to a Dayton RS52AN-8 crossed to two Dayton DA175-8 (or better, depending on budget). Also, if you watch a lot of movies, you'll probably want a sub in there.

Crossing around 2kHz and 800Hz will keep off-axis response fairly flat and avoid trouble zones wrt harmonic distortion, I should think.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You will probably get the best result with a "standard" 3way and a Linkwitz Gainer on the woofers ... but it really depends on your goal and whether you can design and measure a crossover

But its trouble getting regular woofers with enough Xmax ... maybe you will have more luck with a 2.5way with sub

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ryoung said:
So would I be better making the enclosure wider and using a forward firing subwoofer?

Hi,
I liked what you had back in post #5. Simple, good looking.
If you take much more advice here, you'll end up with the same-old same-old that there's a billion of here - the boring rectangular MTM.
My suggestion is to stay with it three-way with the midrange and tweeter in the top unit. Then as mentioned before, use two shallow woofers push-push near the bottom of the bass unit. fire your port out the back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.