Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2007, 08:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Using the 1262s for mids and the 1350s as woofers would be an even better combo I think...
Old 18th November 2007, 11:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Great looking project, looking forward to "in-progress" pictures.

I assume your wood working skills are not an issue here...I have two comments.

1. Can you tilt the front baffle of the midrange/tweeter to time-align the two? Either a tilted baffle of maybe taller "feet" in the front then in the back?

2. From an cosmetic standpoint, I would have the "side panel" on the bass enclosure align with something. Maybe the top corner of the midrange cabinet? This would required an extra piece of material on the side of the midrange cabinet. I have had a similar cabinet design floating around in my head.
Old 18th November 2007, 11:46 PM   #13
ryoung is offline ryoung  United States
diyAudio Member

Stingray, I've added a piece that follows the lines of the bass cabinet into the midrange, I hadn't at the time of the second set of pictures. I'm interested in the discussion of different driver choices at this juncture, I'm certainly open to new ideas as far as what drivers to use. Thats the beauty of drawing all this in CAD ahead of time...saves me a lot of money in MDF! I also have an adjustable rear foot on the back of the midrange module to tilt it up and down.
Old 19th November 2007, 12:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Have you considered the 8" Usher 8955A? If it has similar distortion to it's 7" brother, it may be a good choice. Also, it is on sale over at Partsexpress.com.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-618

You can see the 7" distortion over at Zaph|Audio.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/
Old 19th November 2007, 12:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Updated design picture, haven't modeled the smaller midrange in the top enclosure yet so it's just a hole for now.
Attached Images
File Type: png speaker.png (66.8 KB, 462 views)
Old 19th November 2007, 02:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello ryoung, As a Spica fan, my question is.....Did you ever consider mounting the mid and tweeter unit on the angled side of the head unit and time aligning that puppy?
Old 19th November 2007, 02:14 AM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

You will need a lot of volume fore double 10" woofers

A Hivi 12" M12 is cheap and will do with less volume, or maybe a Dayton 12" sub

I suppose you have planned fore a PlateAmp fore the sub driver
Old 19th November 2007, 02:21 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveThreshold
one bass driver on the opposite side, and running a short bar, or block of MDF on the inside to mechanically connect them.
MDF is kinda squishy for this job. Good hardwood is best (if you don't want to be bothered with aluminium.

With the port at the top, it will need to be modeled as an ML-TL -- might not be such a bad thing.

dave
Old 19th November 2007, 02:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

tinitus, I think I will use a single 12" sub on the bottom instead of the two 10" woofers, and use two of the h1350s for midbass on the front of the baffle

TC, I've thought about it, I've designed the top to be adjustable as far as time alignment...You can angle the enclosure about 15 degrees either way. I've also looked at making the tweeter mounted further back than the midrange. I need to pick a mid to use before I draw in that section.

Planet, I can machine a piece of aluminum without problem
Old 19th November 2007, 02:41 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ryoung
I think I will use a single 12" sub on the bottom instead of the two 10" woofers
I figure 2 drivers push-push in a woofer cabinet gives big benefits. I'd use 2 SDX-7 before i used a single 12".

You can port the woofers, but midranges should be sealed or aperiodic, not vented.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!