Foam vs Rubber surround - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2001, 04:41 AM   #1
walker is offline walker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to walker
If it weren't for the dearly departed foam surrounds of my AR9's, (Acoustic Research), I would not have found this forum. So in a way I'm glad.
First question; where can I get replacements for the 12-11.5" woofers, (I have bought some 12"rubber surrounds but they do not fit).
Second question; I have already replaced the foam 8" surrounds with rubber surrounds, (on the lower mids). I have noticed a slight change, (Kings New Clothes?) but they still sound good. What are the pro's and con's of surround materials?
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment that you can offer.
Regards WALKER
PS Appologies if I have missed it thrashed out in the past, as I'm a newbie to this forum.
Old 12th November 2001, 04:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Surrounds

Walker,

If you do not mind shipping your drivers I would highly recommend contacting Peter at Speakerworks in Concord, NSW. This gentleman has done nothing but speaker repairs for almost 30 years. I just spoke him to several days ago and we were discussing AR speakers and replacing the surrounds on them. He seems to have sources for surrounds that few people anywhere in the world have. He will sell you the surround for you to install. But for 10" rubber surround he will charge about $55 or he will fit the surrounds, shim and align the voice coils and supply a 2 years parts and labor warranty for $83. You take your pick, I am sure that you can guess what I choose.

Peter - Speakerworks

02 9746 5754
0407 932 294

http://www.speakerworks.com.au

By the way if you have an ideal where I can find a pair of AR-94's, I would be a friend forever. I have scrounged the US and since I moved to Sydney I have been looking everywhere and have come with zip. I want a pair of AR-94's any almost any condition very desperately.

Cheers,

Surf, Sun & Sound
Old 12th November 2001, 05:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cheers SSS, I'll contact him
I just pulled out the pamphlet on the 94s, 2x8" + 1 1/4", sound interesting.
If I hear of some for sale I'll endeavour to pass it on.

Regards WALKER
Old 12th November 2001, 05:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default AR - 94 Brochure

Walker,

Is there anyway that you could copy that brochure and send me a copy or scan it and post to the net? I have very limited information on the speakers except what I can get off the web which is not much. The only really good source on the net is an article on

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ar94rebuild_e.html

I have been searching E-bay and the net for almost 2 years and information about AR speakers is scare in general.

What do you think,

Surf, Sun & Sound
Old 12th November 2001, 06:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lookout SSS its on it's way!
WALKER
Old 12th November 2001, 06:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Couln't find your email address. If you send it to me I'll post it on, either today or tomorrow.
Regards WALKER
PS Mine's cwalker@edisonmission.com
Old 12th November 2001, 06:50 AM   #7
Myren is offline Myren  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Myren Send a message via AIM to Myren
Replacing surrounds is so worthwhile. I replaced the surrounds on my Rectilinear IIIb's and they sound just like new! Saved me a ton of cash, spending $30 on new surrounds.
Old 12th November 2001, 12:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default E- mail Address

Walker,

I sent you an E-mail with my E-mail address. I also attached an web address of a classic speaker site that has some additional information on AR speakers from the 70's.

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/ar/ar.htm

There it is for everyone check out.

Surf, Sun & Sound
Old 12th November 2001, 12:53 PM   #9
bawang is offline bawang  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

About foam vs rubber surrounds for speakers..... Well, I would ALWAYS recommend rubber. I own an excellent pair of Paradigm 3se mini and they sound excellent, until the foam surrounds die (ie rot) after 2 years in this tropical weather. Contacted Paradigm and bought a replacement set for the woofer/midrange units, but these too rotted after less than a year. Paradigm replied that this is impossible, but I have 2 sets of woofers/midranges to prove it.

Changed the surrounds for one set on my own, but the sound character changed for the worst. I still have the other set with rotted surrounds........

I am now using a pair of Monitor Audio 7 (for my bedroom) and a pair of Robertson Audio Silver 30 for my lounge. An you guess right, both have rubber surrounds. Have used them for 3 years without any problems......
Old 12th November 2001, 05:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Beware changing foam surrounds to rubber! The advantage of foam is better cone edge termination, hence smoother response. Changing to rubber may sound attractive from longevity point, but will result in a driver with a totally different response (characteristics) to what it was before, in effect it becomes a different driver which will affect all facets of performance especially through the x/over! There is nothing wrong with foam, sure it breaks down after 14 years, but it is relatively cheap and easy to fit a new one, and you are set again for another 14. Keep it original and enjoy the sound...
tomcat

Hide this!Advertise here!