Foam vs Rubber surround - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 11:49 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrss View Post
my room ionizer/ozone generator creates for me and that will destroy anything foam or rubber in a matter of a few short weeks. Ozone occurs naturally in nature
I gather youre not concerned with the toxic nature of Ozone...
Old 31st October 2012, 12:45 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Me, um, no... I just work outdoor-ish. What is your opinion of the audio coloration due to a rubber surround?
Old 31st October 2012, 02:34 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

HAHA. I work with high voltage, so Ozone is around too much. My opinion is mixed. Foam seems to work well, particularly with light paper cones. Foam is far too variable. I 'wore out' the foam surround on some Audax that i built for my 1st DIY, less than 5 years old. Conversely, the foam surround on some 70s Goodmans woofers i was gifted, were fine even after 20 years in storage. Neoprene is just more robust. Santoprene i know less of its stability, but it seems very similar. Ive never had damaged rubber, but the cone in some cases is weaker than surround at limits of operation. One thing i really dont like about foam, is the radiation of surround 'noise'. I havent experienced that with rubber, but im not claiming it does not occur.

CLS, most oil pressure gauges contain glycerine, for damping.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 31st October 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:39 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

These Paradigms appear to have a plastic-ish cone, so I don't think the rubber will tear them, but I will be running them hard under the work station, and the $10 garage sale pioneer sx-3700 is up to it so far...
Old 1st November 2012, 02:07 AM   #95
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWiggins View Post
We've had foam surround woofers running in Malaysia, Costa Rica, and other tropical locations for 7 years now without a problem. Not all foams are equal.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Ohh Please! Wait a few more years.
But hey! by then the cheap *** Ferrite mags will have lost 25% of their Gauss.. and you likely won't notice that difference either.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:58 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to James Lehman
Hmmm. Interesting that this issue warrants it's own thread.....

I won't buy speakers with crushed cell foam anymore!

There are a lot of them out there, but I always look at the specs and if I see foam, I say, Oh Well! and keep looking.

It is very disappointing to see a speaker disintegrate and fail right before your eyes. I've seen it way too many times.

I look for just about anything but foam; paper, treated paper, cloth, etc. For woofers I really like butyl rubber.

I have woofers from MCM that I got in 1995 and they look (and work) like they are brand new.

James.
Old 1st November 2012, 03:49 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

I have seen cloth surrounds distort, and collapse, but they still sound and work great! I wish I could get some silicone impregnated cloth surrounds, that would be cool...
Old 1st November 2012, 05:31 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

the one real advantage i see with foam is that it is so much lighter than rubber. But running them hard tends to thin the foam where it is tensioned during high excursion, and weakened.

I agree with James, I wouldnt buy a foamed driver again, it just screams cheap and reminds me of those car subs with gaudy foam that lasted about 5 minutes in a damp car, kickers...urgh!

Last edited by mondogenerator; 1st November 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 22nd September 2013, 02:37 PM   #99
eyeguy is offline eyeguy  United States
diyAudio Member

the horribly expensive Dynaudios I built in the 80's have been sitting in my basement for more than 10 years while I decide when I will have the time to refoam them. No hurry, since my SEAS thors have good surrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Uh-Oh!
So according to your view, Tannoy, Dynaudio, Morel, Audax, JBL and possibly a few others I can't think of at the moment who have used/or still use foam surrounds on some of their models aren't to be considered 'High End'any more?
Hmmmmm!

tomcat

Hide this!Advertise here!