Peeless(Sonab OD-11) cone tweeter replacement. Help needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends. I have come with such a request a couple of years ago. I need to find replacement tweeters for Sonab OD-11. Originally, it was Peerless (forgot the model of the tweeer) and I had suggestions about replacing it by a Peerless CT-62 I think. BUT, Peerless no longer makes these tweeters. Any decent suggestion?
I have 12 of these Sonab.. All with burnt tweeters, but one. I have found at a flea maket, BOSE cone tweeters. (Probably for the 901?) I don't know if they are equivalent in quality.

I don't know if the Peerless were really decent and what could replace them. Any suggestion welcomed. As well, what would be a good source for foam replacement rings for the woofers? are they all equal in quality?

Many questions, but lots of fun in sight.

Syl.

Sonab Tweeter (Peerless)

Thanks to both of you guys. For one, yes, I went on the Carlsson planet.. and never succeeded to register as a member. The posts indicated that the replacement for the OD-11's tweeter was the Peerless 62CT.. no longer in production..

And about the link to the Solen site, for the Vifa tweeter, I get a "Forbidden" message when I click on your link.

Please, keep posted. I'll sure need more help to get though this. If possible, I'd like to a replacement as close as possible to the original Peerless cone tweeter. I'd like to know how these speakers sounded in their original state.

Thanks for your support guys! ;-)

Sylvain

Hello!

I really think you should try to find some Peerless 62CT because the speaker was optimized for them. I see them on sale on internet sometimes. The d26nc15 is an excellent tweeter but I guess the sound will be different and you probably need to fix the crossover. But it might be a good solution. Can you (michelf) tell us anything about the sound differences between the vifa and peerless tweeter. Did you adjust the xo??

Thanks for the info

Thanks Streten, Dylan and H.J.S.

All these info will be useful. I'll probably stick to finding old ones on Ebay, as I'd really like to see how they sounded in original form.

I'll use the link you sent me to order new foam surrounds. I have 12 of them to replace!

About foam surrounds. A few questions from a complete novice: (me!)
Are the surrounds sold by Parts Express or Decware etc.. real exact match to originals? in other terms: is a refoamed woofer close to its original performance? or is it "better than nothing"?

2- "if" foam is an aproximate replacement.. then, could it be replaced by Butyl? Just wondering.

I'd like to open these boxes to see if there are some xover components that could be improved eventually, and above all, install decent (non-din) connectors. They say on the Carlsson planet that you remove the screws of the face plate and lift it.. I tried, but it looks as if it's glued to the cabinet.. and that prying it will destroy the cabinet.. any idea?

I'll post a follow up. These are nice little speakers.

Salut Sylvain,
the reference at Solen for the Vifa tweeter is D26NC5506.
I bought my pair of OD-11 in a garage sale for $20.
One of the tweeter was defective and the original woofer was replaced by RS speaker (very bad one).
The sound coming from the speaker was awful, almost no bass, very thin high.
I was not impress at all by the sound coming out of the original tweeter.
At first I use a small soft tweeter from Peerless (not available anymore at Solen) and the SF 6.5 keeping the same crossover.
I changed the capacitors for Solen.

The sound coming from the speaker was quite amazing considering the
unusual match.
Maybe too much bass and cutting a too low for the tweeter.
The SF 6.5 mid-bass sound very warm.

Just for fun I switched later on to the Vifa Tweeter D26NC5506.
The high and the dispersion was way better compare to the soft dome Peerless tweeter, but I still think that the cutting frequency should be higher around 3.5khz.

I didn't touch them for a while but tweaking the xver and adjusting the port should help for a better frequency response.

But overall the principle of those speaker was preserved, they could sound very diffuse depending of the placement and distance from the wall.

It will be interesting to try those speaker in a 5.1 configuration.

Hello Mtl

Salut Michel,

Funnily, I think I have read your post on Quebec Audio bulletin board yesterday and have subscribed, so that I could contact you..

Would you consider selling your old tweeters (the original ones)?:cannotbe:

I'd like to have a listen to the original version. And since I have quite a few pairs of these.. then, I could modify another pair and see if I "improved" or altered the original design.

I have enough of them to have at least two home cinema. One in my bedroom with my 50" Sony, and one in my workshop. I'd like to have a big 100" projection screen eventually. (used!)

The original Sonab had impressive drivers I think. Using huge Alnico magnets. So, I'm curious to see how they can perform as is.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Sylvain,
you`re right I post previously on QuebecAudio forums about the same subject. And you saw probably the pictures I posted.

I got only one tweeter left...and frankly the sound of old driver specially tweeters had nothing to do with their modern counterparts.
The best way to upgrade old speakers is too swap tweeters, midrange
and recone the original woofer.
But I respect your quest.
Feel free to e-mail me privately.

pics

Here's a pic of the original drivers. Both Alnico with mighty magnets. It makes me wonder why some guys replace them with RS drivers rather than just fixing the foam suspensions. cheers!

Attachments

• img_4926.jpg
    img_4926.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.