Amp for active loudspeakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Nm2285 is offline Nm2285  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Delaware
Default Amp for active loudspeakers

I want to make some active speakers to use as basically near-field monitors (for my computer). I've been searching for plate amplifiers that can fit in the speakers themselves, but to no avail. The only thing I see is subwoofer amps. Anybody know where these can be found?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Queensland Australia
Hi Nm2285, just curious, what is a "plate amplifier" I'm not familar with the term.
"It was the Springtime of the year when aunt is calling to aunt like mastodons bellowing across primeval swamps." P.G. Wodehouse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003

The Solen AP series is available if your interested.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
While there are some interesting sub/sat monitor amp combinations or even full range plate amps available, most are physically larger than anything qualifying as "mini-monitor" could accommodate.

For example, the Solen AV series that Bob referenced above would require a minimum enclosure back panel size of 5 1/2" x 9", plus additional depth of cabinet to allow clearance for power supply components. (approx 3 1/2" IIRC)

In addition, most are more power than you'd probably need for a computer monitor speaker. This sounds to me like the perfect candidate for something like:,27/

or any basic T-amp

If you really need to "self-power" your speakers, you could always just build one of these little guys, or something like the 41HZ series of kits into (one of) the enclosures.
on hiatus
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 08:43 PM   #5
CSS/XBL is offline CSS/XBL  Canada
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
There is also a less powerful version available from MCM.

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active modules for 2-way loudspeakers? roffe Multi-Way 13 5th January 2009 08:21 AM
non-isolated amplifiers for active loudspeakers Davey T Class D 8 29th October 2008 09:50 PM
Bose 402 loudspeakers and active eq? Urloony Multi-Way 4 1st March 2005 08:43 AM
Electronics For Active Loudspeakers sdclc126 Multi-Way 15 24th January 2005 06:30 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2