diyAudio (
-   Multi-Way (
-   -   Amp for active loudspeakers (

Nm2285 13th November 2007 08:10 PM

Amp for active loudspeakers
I want to make some active speakers to use as basically near-field monitors (for my computer). I've been searching for plate amplifiers that can fit in the speakers themselves, but to no avail. The only thing I see is subwoofer amps. Anybody know where these can be found?

Jonathan Bright 13th November 2007 08:19 PM

Hi Nm2285, just curious, what is a "plate amplifier" I'm not familar with the term.

CSS/XBL 13th November 2007 08:20 PM


The Solen AP series is available if your interested.


chrisb 13th November 2007 08:30 PM

While there are some interesting sub/sat monitor amp combinations or even full range plate amps available, most are physically larger than anything qualifying as "mini-monitor" could accommodate.

For example, the Solen AV series that Bob referenced above would require a minimum enclosure back panel size of 5 1/2" x 9", plus additional depth of cabinet to allow clearance for power supply components. (approx 3 1/2" IIRC)

In addition, most are more power than you'd probably need for a computer monitor speaker. This sounds to me like the perfect candidate for something like:,27/

or any basic T-amp

If you really need to "self-power" your speakers, you could always just build one of these little guys, or something like the 41HZ series of kits into (one of) the enclosures.

CSS/XBL 13th November 2007 08:43 PM

There is also a less powerful version available from MCM.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio