guru wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guy´s im from sweden And i have been reading teori on loadspeakers for a while now. And i get the basics. And there are probely alot of guys that come in here an try just like me to learn about loadspeaker.

well what´s my problem. Well it´s seems pretty hard and i keep seing alot of grafs and number and such. i get to the point. were i know what the components in a crossover do. put then when i get in to a program example. Speaker Workshop the grafs and such realy get my head blowing.

im not stupid i have make other diy project like a projector and that´s easyer than bulding a speaker from scrach.

Well i am for now renovateing a speaker called carlsson that is from the 60´s and very populer here in sweden. And i love it so i want to make my own speaker system sometime. but i need to learn.

so im acctualy searching for a kind soul out there that can help me through the sience and step by step help me accomplish a real long wait to do somthing good

and if you have read this long please email or better yet add me on msn mr_nobody73@hotmail.com

Biggest Negative about DIYing a loudspeaker:

It's HARD! Loudspeakers are really complicated and difficult to design. There is a tremendous learning curve before being able to build a really great speaker (I'm far from being there). Thats why published designs are so often recommended.

Biggest Positive about DIYing a loudspeaker:

Even if your DIY loudspeaker isn't "great" or even really that "good" you'll probably still think it sounds good. Speakers are so subjective, I've found, that if I even get my design remotely right I think it sounds pretty good =).

Good luck finding someone to help, but if you can't, give it a go yourself, you'll probably still end up with something you enjoy listening to.

mynameis....

My recommendation -- Start reading! You will learn much more that way -- especially with regards to the mathematics as it relates to speaker building. And keep working with the simulation software. Plug in some published DIY designs and see what you get for results...

The best book I found was Ray Alden's Speakerbuilding 101. It is now out in revised edition, Speakerbuilding 201. I haven't seen 201, but it I would guess it is even better than 101.

JJ

oshifis: If you mean the later Stig Carlsson designs (1980+) i would agree with you, but the old 60´s designs were seriously compromised by drivers and other things so building a better speaker would be feasible. Even the ortho-acoustical principles and theories are available through carlssonplanet.com

Hi, there are many gurus here to help you.
Try to define more of what you want.
Ask more specific questions.
Work step by step.
What loudness is needed,
what frequencies?
Can I afford $$ what I want?
How will I compromise?
Size? Loudness? Bass? cost$$?
2-way? 3-way? 4-way?

Well the main thing that i want help with. is basics. i have read alot and im am trying to summon all the facts so i can use it.

What im doing right now is to renovate old speakers. First my Carlsson that i have been collecting from the 60´s. Then i have collected other old speakers from the 80´s 90´s. And to give the a new box from my own design. and also just to get my hands dirty.

2. now i want to learn how to test propperly in software and to creat new crossover using my existing element that i have collected. so step by step learn the grafs and such.
sure you can learn alot from forums and web. But i woald like to have some to ask and get a response

my goal i not to be best och create the best speaker ever my income is low. So this is the only thing i can think of that is sheap but that i can still be creatful.

is anyting i say make seanse?
i mean is this a good way

regads

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
No, I dont think that is the right way ... in violin building it is said that only a very skilled builder is "allowed" to repair old violins ... in other words, it is easier to start from scratch and build a new one from ground up

Transverted into speaker building I would advise you to select a well known proven design and experiment with it ... try different filters, make changes and get a feel of how different solutions affect the resulting sound

But its really way more complicated, and you should also try to get to an understanding how the choise of drivers and different enclosure design and different filters relate to each other

Or you could make a shortcut and take on a philosophy or certain way of designing and specialize in that

When you master, lets say a 2-way, you may be able to take on and understand more complicated design, and in the end maybe also being able to mix different designs

It will also be a good idea to study which drivers are available, and by simulations learning what the individual drivers are good at

You will have to learn how to measure a driver to get the right specs
You should learn how to measure a driver, and use the measurements in simulations
And finally learn how to measure a finished speaker
And last but not least, learn how it sounds

And thats just fore a start ... personally I cannot measure nor simulate and I probably never will ... measuring and simulating sounds a bit boring to me, too fast and effective with little fun ... I dont mind spending 5 years on a speaker rather than building 5 speakers each year ... the longer it takes the better :clown:

iI would recommend to firts learn to use a computerbased speaker measurement system and start analyzing one of the old speakers you have and carefully experiment with the filter components in the existing filter by changing them with slightly lower or higher values to get a feel what the actually do and start listening to the difference it will make. To design a speaker just by ear can be a very frustrating experience. maybe the best way to start with forinstance a two way system is to choose two units with not to complicated frequency graphs Imean units that behave well so You don't have to apply complicated filterdesign to get a decent results. A simulationprogram like ajhorn is also a great way to learn what influences changes in design can have in freqency ressponse. good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.