Upgrading a pair of Heathkit AS101/Altec Valencia Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zilch,

In the N800-F there is a variable potentiometer (16 ohms) in series with a fixed resistor of 20 ohms parallel to the HF.

Can I assume in your test the potentiometer was set to its minimum and there was still the fixed resistor in series?

Thanks,

Don

PS. I'm an Accountant

DonM said:
PS. I'm an Accountant
:D

The variable potentiometer is 25 Ohms, actually, according to the schematic (link @ #15). That was set for no attenuation, for a total of 45 Ohms across the HF driver, and full drive to its terminals, i.e., no resistance in series with the driver.

This I conclude from observing that the SPL levels are essentially superimposed in the VHF, where the filter does not itself appreciably attenuate the drive....

Found the 8-Ohm Altec N800-8K schematic:

Attachments

• _temp.jpg
    _temp.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 499
Zilch,

I'm using X-Over Pro 3 to simulate some different scenarios for my Altec 806a & 416. It's not that accurate but does give some indication of the response change when you use different values.

I will input the values from the N-800F that you used and compare the X-Over Pro simulated response to your spl graph posted above for the 806A.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

Resurrecting an old thread

I have the opportunity to pick up a fairly pristine pair of Heathkit AS-101s.

I've read a lot about them here elsewhere and had a question.

I'm new to the DIY audio scene and have built a nice tube-based preamp and amp. I'll be pushing about 15W of glorious OTL sound. I recently heard a friends set up which included a pair of 803b mids and was really seduced by the Altec horn sound. I'm hooked.

But at this point I'm not ready to drop $5K on building my own speaker system, and don't have the room for some A7 robots.

So the question is for $1000 investment, is a pair of nice AS-101s a reasonable start into this adventure?

FWIW, I have a pair of Altec tweeters that I can use to supplement the top end. I'd have to build a crossover for it...maybe at 5K. I'm also not too shy to send them to GPA for a recharge and diaphragm replacement.

And I have a pair of Heath AS-101 being delivered this evening. They were a good snipe on an ebay ad - turns out this pair has an interesting provenance!

After I closed the deal and made payment on the speakers, the seller told me his dad was David Nurse, and had been President of Heath company from 1966 to his retirement in 1980. (I used The Google and checked it out - the names are right, the locations are right, the times are right!)

It appears that these Heathkit AS-101s, aka A7-800s, aka Altec Valencias
WERE actually owned by the president of Heath Company, were passed on to his son, were put in storage when they sold the house, and are now headed to me.

That is stunningly cool - I had no idea of that when I sniped the bid Saturday night!

Attachments

• ALTEC-uShip_0238 crop.jpg
    ALTEC-uShip_0238 crop.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 119
Your research is correct.. worked for Heathkit in the Houston retail store for 3 years in the early - mid 70's. Sold and assembled few of the AS-101's during that time.

Unfortunately, it was not a good seller in the stores for a number of reasons... size, price and the lack of extended bass made it a hard sell next to the Heathkit version of the AR3 and others. The Bozak model out at the same time did poorly too. No where near as good as the Altec. If I recall, they were both available in the same size cabinet.

And unfortunately, Heathkit (AKA Griefkit) had discontinued their tube amplifier offerings and only sold solid state, mainly the AR - 15 receiver were available. The AR-15 was very competitive in it's day, but no where near as good as the larger tube integrated amps it replaced. (KT-88 based Mark series?) If we had tube amps to demo the Altec with, I think they would have sold much better.

Good luck with your new babies!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.