Upgrading a pair of Heathkit AS101/Altec Valencia Speakers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2008, 07:09 AM   #21
DonM is offline DonM  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zilch,

In the N800-F there is a variable potentiometer (16 ohms) in series with a fixed resistor of 20 ohms parallel to the HF.

Can I assume in your test the potentiometer was set to its minimum and there was still the fixed resistor in series?

Thanks,

Don

PS. I'm an Accountant
Old 15th January 2008, 08:22 AM   #22
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM
PS. I'm an Accountant

The variable potentiometer is 25 Ohms, actually, according to the schematic (link @ #15). That was set for no attenuation, for a total of 45 Ohms across the HF driver, and full drive to its terminals, i.e., no resistance in series with the driver.

This I conclude from observing that the SPL levels are essentially superimposed in the VHF, where the filter does not itself appreciably attenuate the drive....
Old 15th January 2008, 09:41 PM   #23
R.I.P.

Found the 8-Ohm Altec N800-8K schematic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _temp.jpg (36.1 KB, 302 views)
Old 15th January 2008, 10:59 PM   #24
DonM is offline DonM  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zilch,

I'm using X-Over Pro 3 to simulate some different scenarios for my Altec 806a & 416. It's not that accurate but does give some indication of the response change when you use different values.

I will input the values from the N-800F that you used and compare the X-Over Pro simulated response to your spl graph posted above for the 806A.

Thanks again for your help.

Don
Old 29th October 2012, 08:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Resurrecting an old thread

I have the opportunity to pick up a fairly pristine pair of Heathkit AS-101s.

I've read a lot about them here elsewhere and had a question.

I'm new to the DIY audio scene and have built a nice tube-based preamp and amp. I'll be pushing about 15W of glorious OTL sound. I recently heard a friends set up which included a pair of 803b mids and was really seduced by the Altec horn sound. I'm hooked.

But at this point I'm not ready to drop $5K on building my own speaker system, and don't have the room for some A7 robots.

So the question is for $1000 investment, is a pair of nice AS-101s a reasonable start into this adventure?

FWIW, I have a pair of Altec tweeters that I can use to supplement the top end. I'd have to build a crossover for it...maybe at 5K. I'm also not too shy to send them to GPA for a recharge and diaphragm replacement.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I wish I still had my pair. Surprisingly mellow, not impressive in any way, music friendly. I sold the drivers for cold hard cash which I also no longer have.

Hide this!Advertise here!