Hi-Vi F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Dayton PT2 tweeters that I would like to try. I am wondering what would be the better driver to mate with it. These will be used in a two way. The Hi-Vi F6 or something like the Seas CA18RNX. I think the F6 will let me cross Higher, but don't now how it compares in quality with the Seas. Using the Seas though, will not give much breathing room with the Dayton, as it sounds like the higher it is crossed the better. Anyone out there with experience with both drivers? Thanks

Kris

Dayton planar is very similar (perhaps oem'ed from the same source) to the Silver Flute YAG20-1, which was tested by Zaph here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

According to his test, this planar tweeter's distortion performance is horrible. I'd cross it at 3.5 kHz LR4 at the lowest, which rules out any 6.5" drivers.

How about using them in a mini monitor design? You may want to consider using Tang Band W4-1320 or W4-1337 and crossing the planar at 4 or 5 kHz LR4.

Hi peter. Thanks, I actually have been to Zaphs site and looked a the comparisons. While I personally feel that measurements are important, I don't think they necessarily tell the whole picture on how a driver sounds. I am hoping to find some people who have used or heard either of the drivers for some insight on which might sound or perform better in an actual application (I realize this is pretty subjective) but can definitely help give direction.
Jay thanks as well. I knew buying this tweeter it was shall we say "controversial". It is none the less a fairly inexpensive way to try out a planar tweeter. Again, I know measurements are important, but I know there are people who have used this tweeter and thought it worked well(again subjective). This is going to be more for fun than critical listening so if it is not the end all be all that is o.k. too. Another I guess, off shoot of this project will be getting a mid/bass (which both of my selections are probably superior in quality to the dayton planar) that if this project works out and I feel I like the planar/ribbon sound I would buy a nicer tweeter to mate with said mid/basses. Thanks again for your advise.

Kris

If you insist, go ahead try. Then I think as sreten suggested, using it with the Tang Band W5-704 crossed at 3 kHz LR4 may be a good compromise. If you want to use a 7" driver, the only choice may be the Seas CA18RNX. It has virtually no high frequency breakups. You can easily cross it at 3 kHz LR4 if you can accept a little worse off axis performance due to beaming. HiVi F6's breakup occurs at 2.7 kHz, which is not good for your application. Also, the CA18 has cleaner bass than the F6.

Jay thanks again for the advise. I guess I could look into the 5" driver range, then there are probably tons of suitable drivers. The only reason I am hoping to make a 7" work is for the bottom end. I am very flexible on cabinet size and design however so I suppose I could maybe look in to a TL design and go with the smaller driver. any recommendations on good quality 5-5.25" drivers. I know seas has the new reed cones, any others that stand out? Thanks

Kris

I looked at Zalytrons website and didn't see any vintage seas listed, at least none in the $15-20 range. Maybe I missed them? any opinions on the gr-research m130. Zaph tested the M165x and seemed to think it was o.k. Is the M130 or 130x any different? It seems to be priced very well. Even if it is an o.k. driver would seem to be hard to beat at the price. Though I need something fairly easy to implement and know nothing about it. I am afraid the Peerless driver(at least the exclusive)might be a challenge to implement due to the peak at 450hz. maybe not as big a deal as I think. thanks

Kris

kkosiba said:
I looked at Zalytrons website and didn't see any vintage seas listed, at least none in the $15-20 range. Maybe I missed them? any opinions on the gr-research m130. Zaph tested the M165x and seemed to think it was o.k. Is the M130 or 130x any different? It seems to be priced very well. Even if it is an o.k. driver would seem to be hard to beat at the price. Though I need something fairly easy to implement and know nothing about it. I am afraid the Peerless driver(at least the exclusive)might be a challenge to implement due to the peak at 450hz. maybe not as big a deal as I think. thanks

Kris

Yeah, the high 3rd order harmonic at 450 Hz is the only drawback of the 5.25" Exclusive. Otherwise, it is the only driver under $100 in the group that can be comparable to the ScanSpeak driver w.r.t. distortions. How audible is the third order harmonic? It should be barely audible. Only one or two notes (A440 key) in music will be affected by this peak.

The GR M130 or M130X should be a good choice, too. The X version has Adire's patented XBL^2 motor which increases the woofer's linear excursion, thus improving its low-end performance. But I expect its overall nonlinear distortions are a bit higher than the Peerless HDS drivers'. Peerless HDS nomex or poly has a very good cost-to-performance ratio IMO.

Seas drivers are definitely a step up from HiVi and Tang Band in terms of both quality and consistency. When it comes to HiVi I would not trust the driver that you receive to match the specification of the driver listed in the documentation.

Seas are high consistency, high value drivers and the specs are listed warts and all.

HiVi are much lower consistency and the listed specifications are often idealized.

Parts Express sometimes makes measurements of their products, there are a much more reliable source of measurement when it comes to drivers like HiVi, tang band, Dayton etc. that the manufacturer's own info sheet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.