good midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there, I currently have 12m revelator midrange and I am look for a replacement. It must be better, same pricerange(or a bit more) as 12m, higher SPL and/or higher power.
I have an active system with
2x21W8555-01 with Aleph 5
12M4631g00 revelator with Aleph 3
D9505/990000 revelator with Aleph 3
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41043&highlight=

Ok, any suggestions?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its your xo you need to address ... its a 89-90 db driver and should be sufficient
You may need higher xo points, at least 300hz ... what are your xo points and slopes
Well, I suppose with active its a 24db ... try 12db

You may also need to raise upper xo point ... fore some reason the revelators seem to sound a bit lazy with low xo point ... well, I only know the 15W, which can sound very distorted and quite awfull ... but its all in the crossover

aaronboumans said:
Hello there, I currently have 12m revelator midrange and I am look for a replacement. It must be better, same pricerange(or a bit more) as 12m, higher SPL and/or higher power.
I have an active system with
2x21W8555-01 with Aleph 5
12M4631g00 revelator with Aleph 3
D9505/990000 revelator with Aleph 3
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41043&highlight=

Ok, any suggestions?

There are plenty of excellent sounding pro drivers with 96+ db/w sensitivity out there.

sdclc126 said:
I would only replace a Revelator with another Revelator - I don't think there's anything better - subjectively maybe, given personal preferences, but not in terms of distortion measurements.

Please point me to a distortion graph for this. I'd love to see it!

I am crossing at 350 and 3500 hz with 24dB LR.
I do like the sound of the 12m but it cannot be played as loud (breakup?) as I want and the tweet and woof can!
So must I build an new case with more 12m's and maybe an extra Aleph? I don't want to.... I want an alternative speaker with more power and same quality as 12m.
Magnetar; please name some?

aaronboumans said:
I am crossing at 350 and 3500 hz with 24dB LR.
I do like the sound of the 12m but it cannot be played as loud (breakup?) as I want and the tweet and woof can!
So must I build an new case with more 12m's and maybe an extra Aleph? I don't want to.... I want an alternative speaker with more power and same quality as 12m.
Magnetar; please name some?

The Audax PR170MO comes to mind -

Look Here

Very high sensitivity, low distortion and smooth to 3-4k. It can be crossed at 300 but 400 is better. Sounds best on an open baffle.

These are very good - I never had the Scan Speak - Still waiting on a distortion graph?

tinitus said:
Still waiting on distortion graphs ?? ... thats what the link to Zaph was good fore ... its all there

Scanspeak-12M4631G-HD.gif

Whoops - didn't see the toggle button - Thanks!

Do you know if that was measured at 100 db? 110? Looks good if that's the case!

EDIT - I see it's at 90 db at a meter or 96 at 1/2 meter. I'd like to see it at the levels this fellow wants to use - "concert levels" -

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I dont know much about measurements, but I suppose the designers had a good reason to leave out the farraday rings

My guess is that the reason why the 12M is not working properly could be phase related

Another thing is whether your amps are strong enough to play exstremely loud ... 50watt can play pretty loud with a little distortion, but to play exstremely loud in a big room without distortion, fore that you will need at least 100watt of the very best
Have you tried to drive the mids with the biggest amp(Aleph 5?)

Are you sure your preamp and active xo is up to your demands ... as far as I know, those PASS amps need som preamp gain ... will a preamp with gain force the active crossover into distortion, could there be an impedance problem, does preamp with gain loose its good power drive through the active xo with wimpy buffers ... and so on

I have a friend who owns a ProAc 4 0r 5, well its the big one with double ATC middomes
They didnt sound all too good with a MarkLevinson
Now he uses a big Gryphon and the ProAc speaker has turned into a totally different speaker
I know, most of us cant afford such luxury, but the experience does tell something about how difficult it may be sometimes

Tinitus;
The 12m sounds really good at loud levels but is not up to the concert levels but the tweet (with another Aleph3) can handle it just fine.
I have used the Aleph 5 with the 12m and still same results, it just can't handle it
There is no gain from the cd-player to the Aleph's just attenuation with a 6channel-12step laddernetwork afther the filter followed by a buffer.

Magnetar;
I will look in to the Audax, more high-end suggestions?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Only passive attenuator ... into a PASS amp ... could be one reason why you dont get enough power in the midrange at loud levels
A good power buffer might cure that

Or else you need more sensitivity ... a mid that is a bit more effective than your tweeter
Then you could add a gain module on your woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.