Mission ARGONAUT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I just bought (via ebay) a pair of Mission 780 ARGONAUT loudspeakers in perfect condition.

I liked them very much in the late eighties but could not afford them as I was a student.

In those days, as far as I know, Mission and Cyrus still belonged together.

Now here in Germany I cannot get any information on the Argonaut.

Therefore may I ask, if anybody here can provide me some information as for example a scanned copy a an Argonaut test, product information or maybe a crossover scheme (as I might try to upgrade the parts in the frequency crossover).

I would be happy for any information and help.

Many greetings from southern Germany,
Alexander :)

P.S.:
The Argonaut I am speaking of is the floorstander with two 8" bass drivers an one tweeter in between (in a d´Appolito configuration).

d'Appolito ? I think not ..... ;)/sreten.

mis_780argonaut.jpg

Hi,
There is an MTM version. They were longer (proper) floorstanders and they had the old rectangular Mission tweeter between two 8" drivers.
Perhaps Sreten's picture shows the 780a?

All I have to offer is a link to bi-amping instructions:

http://oldsite.mission-hifi.com/archive/archive.htm

It's nice because it shows them being wired to the early Cyrus amps (One or Two).
I have some Early Cyrus gear and I'd love to hear how that sounds. :D

Good luck,
Martin.

Edit: There's also a manual for the 780 Argonaut on that site but you should check the last page of the manual to be sure that the measurements (Height) are the same as yours.

Hello Sreten, hello Sonusthree, hello @ all,

well, there are several different LS under the name of "Argonaut" as I had to realize now.

The one that I have bought, ist this one (see picture).

It should be the "final" model dating from the mid/late eighties.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

I would be glad about further information (tests, reviews, crossover scheme etc.) anybody might have for me.

Alexander ;)

Attachments

• mission 780 argonaut.jpg
    mission 780 argonaut.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,315
Hi Alex Meyer

I´ve bought my self a pare if those speakers in august this year. i am veary pleased but im not so experienced in Hifi.

What do you think of the mission 780 argonaut ? if you compare whit speakers from today what speakers will that be.

/Krillster

Hello gnerv,

well, I must admit, that I was shocked, when I listened for the first time some days ago to this louspeaker.

Where was the development in the past 20 years in ls develpoment?

This Mission Argonaut sounds liveley, quick, goes quite deep with a clean bass, has precise stereo focus, splendid colours, good dynamics, crisp and "open" highs.

Maybe there are today some tweeters that will offer slightly better resolution, but all in all this is a speaker that will very well compete in the 2.000 - 4.000 Euro range.

The next thing I will do is to check the crossover.

I am certain that this ls will benefit from new (i.e. modern) capacitors as at first glance, I´d say that in the crossover there are only MKTs of medium quality incorporated.
Exchange them against a good (or: very good) MKP capacitor, and the upper medium and the highs will improve in quality.
That is at least, what I have experienced with similar loudspeakers in the past.
I would be surprised, if the Argonaut would react differently here.

As far as I could see, there is one 4.7 uF and one 5.7 uF (4.7 + 1) per box in the crossover network.
So the tuning price will be -depending on the cap you choose- 15 to 80 Euro per box.
That low enough to give it a try....
I will keep you informed.

Alexander

P.S.:
I would be still happy on any information on the Argonaut.... ;)

Hi, alex

yes £139 whit shipping

As Nikki told me, they dont have any tweeters.
but i have serching for information about those speakers on the internet and have found an comment that they still are available.
But i realy dont know, that colud be the last tweeter i read about.

My working fine, i realy like those speakers, they are 20 years old and sound like i want them to, i think, havent realy heard that much.

/krillst

Mission Argonaut

Hi Alex,

I just bought 780 Argonaut in Grey color; wished it's black like yours. Still waiting, probably next week , then I can compare with
Apogee C Minor.
You mentioned about crossover; have you upgraded the caps to MKP ?
Have you taken pictures of the crossover ?

Been looking low tolerance PP caps ( 5%) to replace the MKS you mentioned.
Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220165660124&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120167323391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

5 uF ( will be in ± 10% tolerance of 4.7 uF).

Will what do you think ?

Pls advise if you have done the mods; if you did - did it improve the sound ?

Cheers:
ricoh

Anybody able to do a diagram of the speaker cables to the cross-over. I unsoldered mine and gave the the diagram to a colleague who has lost it. Also need to replace the capacitors as mine have melted - seems previous owner must have enjoyed these speakers at full volume :-(

Thanks

Steve

Mission Argonaut XO

XO:
Gray wire - Tweeter
Black wire - MW (2)

Caps: T: 4.7 uf + 1.0 uF
MW: 4.7 uf + 10 uF (?) Bi-polar

Replaced cap with :
Arcotronics 5.0 uf (PP) +0.68 uf Vit Q (PIO) + 0.01 uf PS (T)
Added by-pass MW: 0.68 uf Vit Q (PIO)

Results:
Very improved; like the sound. Bass fast ! Midrange pretty good.
Argonaut singing with ARC LS7/ Threshold Stasis3.

CAPS burned-in for more than a week.

ricoh
PS: Having problem to attache a picture; PM will e-mail pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.