Fast and simple question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And now I have some things to accurate. SW manual suggest:Do not place the damping material directly behind the woofer/midrange unit or close to the port internal opening, as this will over-damp the bass and give a dull sound.
I have 2 questions about it to make its sure that I undestand it right.

1.So I will leave wall excactly behind the woofer free from damping material (f.e. 8" circle). And this is the enclosure wall against to the wall where woofer is mounted?!
2.About port:So i should leave place free from damping material place where port is mounted with wall or where it is opening (close to anoother wall). Simple questionas, but it would be necessery to understand thouse rules:)

Thank You,

R>R

considering the wavelength of the soundwaves in the bass area in comparison to the enclosure size, i would argue that it is rather unimportant where you place the damping material. perhaps not in or in front of the port of a br box, since you would reduce its effect, making the box more a closed one. perhaps not directly behind the woofer, since the stuffing could move with the pressure (linkwitz considered this in his thor sub, i think).

could someone explain the concept of "over-damp the bass and give a dull sound" to me? i thought when something sounds "dull" (whatever that may sound like) the problem lies in the mid frequecies. so what is an overdamped bass?

:) Hope this helps..

edit: Also, disregard the fact that my crude and effortless diagram includes a port and mentions stuffing. With a vented system, you'd normally want to use foam or something else besides acousta-stuff. Just...try not to cramb it up directly behind the driver, and don't get it around the opening of the port, and you'll be fine. Focus on the top/bottom, sides, and back wall...especially on the back wall.

Attachments

• damping.gif
    damping.gif
    10 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.