15" Woofer Cabinets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2007, 01:56 AM   #1
HKC is offline HKC  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default 15" Woofer Cabinets

Hi Guys

I am looking for information to build a pair of cabinet for my two 15" woofers. Does anyone out there has building information please send it to me. Thanks.
Old 4th November 2007, 06:00 AM   #2
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

???
Old 4th November 2007, 06:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi BHTX

Do you have any building instruction of cabinets for 15" woofer to send me? If so please send and you will be high appreciated.

Thanks
Old 4th November 2007, 08:14 AM   #4
banana is offline banana  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi HKC,

Please specific which model of 15" woofer your using, or provide us its T/S parameters

Otherwise, I'm afraid no one here is able to help without these information.....
Old 4th November 2007, 09:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi banana

It is a Scott 15" alnico woofer. I do not know the T/S Parameters. What is it? Please advice.

Thanks
Old 4th November 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It is pretty much impossible to build a proper cabinet for a speaker unless you have some numbers known as the Thielle Small Parameters (I may have the spelling wrong).

These numbers describe various aspects of the drivers performance that determine how it will perform with different boxes loading it. If you don't have the specs from the manufacturer they can be measured but it is somewhat complex (though doable with patience and a little bit of equipment).

Do you have any idea what size and style box it was in? Seeing as it is a vintage driver you could try some guesses to see how it goes. First try in in a plain baffle with no back and just vestigial side, bottom, and top plates. Make the baffle about 20" wide and the side and tops about 6"-8" deep. If the bass is adequate you may need go no further. If the bass is very weak then you can try a sealed box ( a ported box is not worth trying without the parameters ).

Start by putting some fiberglass insulation in the open back box and putting a back on it. See how it sounds. Now start putting bricks or blocks of wood in to take up some space. If the sound improves keep adding stuff until it no longer improves or starts to get worse. Now you can build a permanent box with that internal volume. If adding stuff makes it worse from the beginning then you probably need to make a bigger box.

Without measuring experimentation is the only option left.

mike
Old 4th November 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Try the Karlson for a fun and satisfying project. I like mine very much, dynamics out the wazoo!
It should work well with the Scott drivers, seems to work well with most vintage fifteen inchers.

BUT...The suggestion for an open baffle is very valid, especially for the little amount of money and effort required for excellent results...it's been one of the favorite DIY fads of late and it never seems to miss. You can decide to build something else later and incorporate the OB's into the subsequent build as baffles, or cut them into braces.

Old 5th November 2007, 11:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike & Bartek

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I will look into it and see what I can do.

Best Regards
Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!