Peerless XT25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am building a crossover, and I am having some problems.

The sound level out of the tweeter is too high. I have an L-pad attenuation of 4dB (Rs=1.6ohm, Rp=5.8ohm). I have included some screenshots of my current configuration.

The tweeter diaphram also appears to be moving, which makes me concerned that lower frequencies are making their way to the driver. Perhaps I built the crossover incorrectly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 288
I figured out that the tracks on my vero-board were not good and it was short circuiting certian sections, and so the whole high-pass section was being by-passed, and the tweeter was passing all the frequencies. I just fixed it up with the dremel, and now they work fine, although the tweeters sound a bit loud -- I will increase the attenuation soon.

-Vlad

The XT25 nearly always requires a notch filter to tame its resonance point. Either that or you need to cross higher and steeper than you expect. A text book calculation wll generally cause distortion at its resonance point, which will often manifest itself as an unpleasant loudness. You really have to make sure the Fs point is very far down.

I can't remember the LRC values required, sorry, but a search should yield some results.

I don't see how the tweeter (with an Fs=0.5kHz) would need a notch filter since its response at that frequency is around 50dB. Although I will try to put one in next weekend when I have the time, and see what difference that makes. I've never build a crossover before, and so this is all highly experimental at this stage :) I hope this harshness will go away...

-Vlad

I'm sorry I was talking out of somewhere hot gasses come from. So you think a notch filter would still help? 25dB down is what, like 8x less than the average output... i tried incorporating a notch filter centred around 500hz, and didnt seem to affect the response of the tweeter, or overall response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.