Bit of a kit market research. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2007, 02:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bit of a kit market research.

Bit of a kit market research.
Hey guys and gals. As some of you may know from my introduction, I am a pretty good furniture maker with a few years behind my back. Over the years, Iíve accumulated a few hundred square feet of exotic veneers such as Ebony Macasara, various kinds of Rosewood, Birds Eye Maple and Ice Birch. I am thinking of putting a few speaker box kits on ebay and want to see what you think about it and if thereís any interest at all. I am attaching a kit picture in Burl Walnut. Joints are 45* miter, ready tape and glue. Shipping, assembled or disassembled?
Thanks for your opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 022 copy.jpg (27.1 KB, 413 views)
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:56 AM   #2
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

That's some great looking wood!

Are you going to design your own speaker box's or are you open to "custom" work orders from customers that provide a drawing?

At the moment I'm looking at Open Baffle types (can / will you be doing those) - but I also have some ideas about some large TL's that I might want to have knocked up and was thinking about doing them myself for hiring a local cab maker.

What experience do you have with speaker cabs?

Old 2nd November 2007, 03:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, the nature of my business is custom work. Iíve recently built the most expensive TV stand ever made. LOL.
Anyway, the reason, Iíve made this kit in a first place is to make a couple of $ for Revelators and bail out DIYs who donít have a full blown woodworking shop, wish to invest in a good table saw or stupidity to spend money on cheap crap from Home Depot. Veneer has to be applied properly in a press and joints have to be nice. The drawback is that you have to figure out your crossover and design prior to putting it all together. Perhaps build a model to tweak it. I am approaching from the cabinet point of view as a commercial manufacturer would. This kit is 10.25, 8.25,15.25 that makes it a 21-liter enclosure.
I have a fully photographed step-by-step ProAc 2.5 build up done by me in my shop, also building a 4ft3 cylindrical sub, so I have some experience. Internal bracing of the cabinet with cut outs, dadoÖed in to the sides and each other fantastic. I find that cutting the holes for the drivers should be done after trial piece, drivers donít always match the specs and I always do it on the scrap first. Just donít like to have an ugly 1/16 of a gap between the basket and cut out.
I am open to custom work or can recommend a tooling and an approach to the project from the woodworking point of view. Just pleas, donít ask me if you could use contact cement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 021 copy.jpg (38.0 KB, 334 views)
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:03 AM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

I'm well aware of what it takes to get quality wood work done - plus good veneer work is an art in itself! I can knock together stuff out of MDF or ply - but doing the 1st class stuff is beyond my equipment (cheap Craftsman T/S and a decent plunge router). So I am capable of doing prototype stuff and playing around - but the really nice work - I can contract it out or spend a few grand to get decent equipment. If I was going into the business of building cab's for $$$ then it would be considered a business investment. If I spend a few grand (more like about 10 - 20K really) then I would have to go into business!!

So your service for "custom" work could be attractive. The shipping cost could be nasty tho -

Do you have any plans for a website or some way for people to contact you for bids and / or your speaker cabs?
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:00 AM   #5
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

I need a good source for quality cabinets as well, although my only concern is shipping. Sure wish I could find someone locally.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I donít think shipping cost would be a problem. I think shipping damages could be a problem, so everything would have to be bubble wrapped and double boxed. Large speaker could be shipped assembled in a crate by a common trucker. I am not really approaching this thing as a big business opportunity. For me it would be fun to do and make a few $ but I already have a business. http://www.tasdebois.com/
I would do it more for fun on a rainy weekend.
Anyways, I see that thereís some interest and we should talk more about it. Iíd like to see more of not only kick *** sounding speakers out there but also kick *** looking!
Regards: Roman.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:09 PM   #7
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Roman!

YGM!
Old 3rd November 2007, 05:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/speaker-box-kit-...QQcmdZViewItem

I just listed it on ebay if anyone is interested
Old 4th November 2007, 01:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

At that price I think they are a bargain. PE has prefinished cabinets, but they don't have the exotice veneer.

What is your recommendation for finishing them?

JJ
Old 4th November 2007, 12:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I will do a separate thread on finishing.

Hide this!Advertise here!