Swapping out the microphone in an SPL meter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I managed to break my microphone preamp and I've lost the microphone... So... I bought a SPL meter with an output socket but the manual says the measurements aren't very accurate below 32Hz or about 10kHz (it was cheap BTW) so I was thinking about swapping the microphone for one of the Panasonic WM-61A microphones as I guess the mic is the problem.

The operating voltage is OK but is this likely to work? I don't care if the SPL meter on the unit is accurate as the output is calibrated on my laptop, I would just like to be able to measure from 20 to 20K fairly accurately.

quickshift said:
I managed to break my microphone preamp and I've lost the microphone... So... I bought a SPL meter with an output socket but the manual says the measurements aren't very accurate below 32Hz or about 10kHz (it was cheap BTW) so I was thinking about swapping the microphone for one of the Panasonic WM-61A microphones as I guess the mic is the problem.

The operating voltage is OK but is this likely to work? I don't care if the SPL meter on the unit is accurate as the output is calibrated on my laptop, I would just like to be able to measure from 20 to 20K fairly accurately.

It should work OK.

quickshift said:

If it is a Tandy / Radio Shack meter, there is a hobbyist named Eric Wallin who did just such a thing. It took a bit more than just a microphone swap to do it. He experienced some minor problems once all the mods were made - meter pegging and such.

My stock Radio Shack SPL meter is not accurate above ~2kHz there is a big peak (5-6dB) at ~5-6kHz and it is down 15-20 dB at 20kHz. The output was rather noisy, as well.

OK, thanks all :)

It sounds like it could be potentially complicated because I don't have a Radioshack SPL meter so nothing to work from as such.

I'll do some comparative tests before and after fitting the panasonic mic capsule - I have data from my previous setup with the decent mic and preamp I can use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.