Layered/laminated plywood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for some photos of loudspeakers that you have built using the laminated plywood method (multiple layers of plywood with the insides cut out).

I am about to begin a build of some floorstanders using this method, and I am having a bit of an argument with my plywood suppliers.

A few months ago I came across a thread here about some beautiful bookshelf speakers that were built like this, but despite loads of searching I cannot find it.

Please can members post any photos that they may have or provide me with a link? I need something to show my supplier the effect that I am looking for.

I have a photo of the Replikon horn,

Thanks everyone, so far.

Zei, your photos are close to what I am trying to showcase.

As I mentioned, a few months ago there was a short post about some small bookshelf speakers (not curved), which contained a great photo highlighting the elegance of the straight, regular lines of the laminated plywood technique. I have searched and searched for this post but to no avail.

To fill you in... A year ago I bought some 21mm Russian Birch BB Plywood for a standard box-build floorstanding loudspeaker project, which the suppliers cut to size for me. I used five layers laminated together to make some pedestals 250mm high that contained the crossovers. I really liked how elegant this process was and realised that it had great potential.

My next project was to build some TL floorstanders, and I wanted to build them using the laminated method with the layers facing forward, which I thought would look very sharp, and allow me to cut the TL out of the middle. I ordered the same plywood off my supplier, but when I got it back home, I realised that the quality was very poor. There are lots of voids. The laminates jump from layer to layer, and the materials that make up the different layers vary in coulour and sequence greatly.

The last batch from my previous project was 100% perfect. It had no voids, or flaws, and the colour of the laminates within the plywood alternated between light and dark without exception.

This build process relies on the perfect lines from the plywood, especially since they will be facing the listener and in vertical alignment.

I am trying to find some good photos to help explain to my supplier that what he has produced is useless to me.

This is the good stuff from last year:

Attachments

• dsc00950.jpg
    dsc00950.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 552
If you find out who your supplier buys his plywood from, or the manufacturer of the plywood, you will be able to call them and find out the different grades that they sell and which ones are void free. The ply that you have been supplied should have some batch/grade markings on it. Without knowing exactly which grade your original good batch of ply was it's a bit hard to say what has happened. Is it possible they thought they could get away with substituting a cheaper grade of ply perhaps?

This link shows the grades available from one ply supplier in Australia. You can see that only the marine ply is void free. If you click the "nil" and "some" links in the "core gaps" row in the table you can see a photo of the typical gaps for each grade.

http://www.australply.com.au/pr_comparisons.html

Hmmm.

It looks okay, just, but the difference between the two batches of wood as seen on posts 7 and 8, is the difference between an avarage build and a stunning one that befits the high quality of the drivers and crossovers, and the effort that will go into the finishing of the cabinets.

I think that I will have to get the ply re-cut. Why bother to go to all the effort with substandard materials. It will only annoy me forever, and forever is a long time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.