10" woofer choice - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2007, 08:15 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

hey tinitus

i must say, whoever is saying that, it is not objectively true. I work a lot with good quality PA speakers because of my job. It's pretty different cause you have a lot more dynamics, but you miss a whole lot of low bass , wich is not neglectable , especially if you listen to modern music. You almost never find a PA 12" wich goes below 50- 40 hz -3db, and that's a lot of missing stuff

+ no point having a high dynamics midbass driver if your other drivers are regular hi fi drivers.

The PD driver linked to (PD is a very good brand btw) doesn't go lower than 55hz -3db, and believe me you hear the difference. It's different if you're able to equalize. But equalizing a Bass reflex is not an easy task.

this is the maximum compromise i'd accept going for a PA driver for bass duties :

http://www.eighteensound.it/index.as...roduct&pid=259

the price is not cheap then, (around 300 E) but you may find similar drivers priced more sensibly. This 18sound driver is THE bass killer though.

[EDIT : similar driver found at B&C for 190 E, with 95 db sensivity :B&C 15PS100
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:03 PM   #22
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemophyle
this is the maximum compromise i'd accept going for a PA driver for bass duties :

http://www.eighteensound.it/index.as...roduct&pid=259

the price is not cheap then, (around 300 E) but you may find similar drivers priced more sensibly. This 18sound driver is THE bass killer though.
As far as that goes, for the money, I believe the good ole' 18" Peavey Low Rider is tough to beat. I've also modeled it pretty extensively for sealed + LT with very good results (especially with 1 per side), although with a sealed F3 around 60 Hz in 4.5 cubic feet (127.4 liters), it'll need quite a bit more EQ than woofers geared toward domestic applications.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=294-301
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:45 PM   #23
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I apologize fore my all too subjective opinion ... at the moment I am just very tired of polite hifi woofers that tries to get down low with rather poor and blurred result or running "out of steam"... I suppose just now I am too biased to do this, trying to reflect on what Sypher is asking fore

Sure, I am actually going fore 18" PA woofers ... I have thought of trying subs, but thats just not me either

MIVOC AW3000 is a rather cheap 12" (48EUR), surely not the best, but it does ok and easy to xo

But there are many different ways to look at it ... some people are satisfied with a small 2way with a 5" woofer, or even OB with a vintage driver from an old TV
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:34 PM   #24

Sorry fore posting again but I do believe there is a differense between using a PA woofer with other PA drivers ... or like here, using a 95db PA woofer with 92db HIFI midrange/tweeter

Please, do tell me if I am all wrong
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:50 PM   #25
Sypher is offline Sypher  France
diyAudio Member

Maybe the 275c would be a good compromise between the PA philosophy and the HIFI one?

I would like a box around 50l so the sls peerless don't fit
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:22 AM   #26

Sure sure, it looks very nice but is really only avarage build quality at a high cost ... but could sound very nice though, although I wouldnt use that kind of money on such a driver ... and keep in mind that their measurement and maybe also specs are not the most reliable

Just fore the record ... SPH275C in 50liter is actually very very close to the 10LW30/N ... they reach the same lows, the only differense being that the Beyma starts to rolloff very shallow a bit higher, but at the same time with a little more SPL

Reality can very well prove much different than any theory, but it seems that both drivers are very close to reaching 35hz with -6db ... but ofcourse they will sound a bit different ... different materials and Q values and such

I will be silent now, and I hope others can help you to a decision
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

ideally you would like to test both to see what is more to your likings.

I advise you to go to an hi fi shop and to listen to an high quality hi fi speaker with big hi fi drivers. Since you're already familiar with PA sound, see if it's up to your likings or not

they are many different schools in this regard, as said by tinitus. And i don't believe that making a compromise between two of them is a good idea, especially if you don't really know what you want.

I found myself to be quite satisfied by the sound of low sensivity drivers, even if i admit that there is something different. Hell in one of the club i worked with, and that's a pretty common thing , they have low sensivity sub bass driver to cover the 20-60 hz frequencies. Of course we're not talking about the same drivers here, more heavy duty 15" sub bass drivers still reaching 90db sensivity, but still.

Dont underestimate the power of your mind into making you believe and prefer things unrelated to the real reproduction of sound. I'm not saying this is bad, but the only way to deal with it is to make your own opinion. dont listen to subjective opinions of people on forums ( ) but rather go make your own.

Since there is since an unknown factor here (big bass Hi fi driver with mid sensivity) you gotta know what you think about it.

And dont forget that driver integration into the system is at least as important
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:35 PM   #28
Sypher is offline Sypher  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Elipson use PHL driver
Click the image to open in full size.
Prame use monacor PA speakers

and many more other exemples (studiolab kit with a beyma 12")

So what is still remaining to listen to in the 100% "hifi" world?
B&W and Focal but the speakers aren't available for sale.

Does anyone know which speakers are used in the elipson 2220?
It looks like nomex
pics:
http://www.hollandlink.nl/elipson/
Old 4th November 2007, 12:16 AM   #29
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, you posted an example of the transmission line. For the SPH-275C driver it'd certainly end up much more than 50L though so will probably be a bit large. It can be simulated with software on this page (which can be bought for 25USD);

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Models/MathCad_Models.html

I have yet to get it but am hoping for good output to 30Hz.

I thought the Monacor products were generally "good value"? It looks like a nicely built driver from what I've seen with the cast basket, large spider, carbon cone etc. I see it for £71.45 delivered, doesn't seem a bad deal.
Old 4th November 2007, 12:52 AM   #30

Then you are lucky around here the SPH-275C will cost like 130 GBP or 145 EUR

Hide this!Advertise here!