Speaker Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would like to create my own bookshelf speaker cabinets. It would have a 3-4" woofer and a tweeter. Is there a particular volume of space you must have? Also, I notice that some manufacturers leave about 1" diameter hole somewhere underneath woofer. I am not sure what this hole is if for.

dscrobe said:
Is there a particular volume of space you must have? Also, I notice that some manufacturers leave about 1" diameter hole somewhere underneath woofer. I am not sure what this hole is if for.

Assuming your post is serious, my advice is to keep reading. A good analogy to you post is that you said you were going to build a car, wanted to know if it needed 4 wheels, and didn't know why other cars have this complex thing under the hood. :)

hi dscrobe,i think the previous posters are just trying to point out that you should do some reading and searching.the fact that you don't seam to know what a port is can be easily fixed by a quick google.most here are really helpful and willing to educate,but a little research on your own will get you a long ways.like a quick search here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure

To answer your two questions - the box volume can be calculated, based on the parameters of the woofer you want to use; the hole below the woofer is for a tuning port, which enhances bass response, and also plays a roll in calculating box volume.

For a 3"-4" woofer, however, a tuning port is almost never recommended - smaller woofers don't go down into the bass region enough for the speaker to benefit from a port. Speakers of this size are best sealed and combined with a subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.