JBL - L300 mods/updating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello! - please help:

My friend have a pair of the big, old JBL - L300...
and wonder if they can be made "up to date" with
small / careful modifications ???
If you have any experience with these,
please post here!
(and, will it be difficult splitting the filter, for bi-wiring?)

Arne K
NORWAY

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Arne,

You don’t have to split the filter. This is what I would do. Make a new or get a used xover between the LE-85’s and the 077’s and run the woofer right from the amp. I would run a electronic xover for the woofer to horn transition, but you don’t have to.

Cross the LE-85 to the 077’s at about 8kHz or higher if possible. You can frequently find N7000 xovers on ebay, but the N8000 is kind of rare. It may be easier just to make a new xover with premium parts. If you don’t use the premium parts, at least bi-pass the cap with good audio grade caps.

Cover the baffle around the mid-horn and the 077’s with 7mm foam or felt (remove the lens first so the foam goes right to the edge of the horn). Cut strips of the same foam and wedge them between the fins on the rear of the lens, but not more then 10mm in from the back edge. There should be a round area open to the horn mouth. This will help to control any baffle diffraction as the sound wave travels through the lens. Wrap the mid-horn very tightly with some heavy rubber or neoprene. You can use large wire ties to hold the rubber tight around the horn, the more the better.

In the photo, you can see the foam on the baffle and wedged into the back of the fins. You can also see the N7000 which I totally rebuilt with Solen coils and caps. I may eventually replace the L-Pad with fixed value Caddocks.

Email me if you have any questions.

Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• jbl_horns_01.jpg
    jbl_horns_01.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,363
Arne,

Try this JBL link for information about the crossover;

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Network Schematics.html

This will give you a diagram/schematic of the design if you care to update say the capacitors which would improve resolution. Or bi pass the existing caps.

The equivelant in the JBL Pro monitor was the 4333/4333A/4333B.

The latter two versions were biamp version with a switchable crossover. The drivers are identical to the 300, the crossover is number 3133.

I would image the Aleph (Aleph 3 or 5) amplifier on the horn and Slot if biamped would be magic, I currently use the Aleph 2 on my diy 4345 JBL 4 way wth a passive crossoover, its very smooth.

regards

Ian

JBL L-300

If you get or have access to audioXpress magazine, in the September 2001 there is article called " Resurrecting a Vintage JBL Classic " featuring the L-300. They do a complete rebuild on it.

I have been wanting to get a pair myself to rebuild. A friend of mine back in 1976 bought a pair and they made a lasting impression on me, very quick and powerfull bass. I could never afford a pair back then. If I remember correctly they cost approx $2500.00 per pair Canadian, a lot of cash back then.

DOUG

Attachments

• jbl logo large.gif
    jbl logo large.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 952
I've got the L65, the L300's little brother, with the same tweeter.
About the crossover, I must say that replacing the stock caps with mundorf or audyn caps gives a much better, smoother and more detailed sound than simply bypassing the caps, especially to get the grains of the tweeter and the mids.
Also replace the stock inductor on the horn which is probably iron-coiled with a decend aircoil or if you got the money, a tritec or so.
Greets

L300 Mods

Hi Philsad,
I have uploaded the files on this email. If you have problems readign the file let me know.
BTW: I have just renovated a pair of L110 speakers. They sounded excellent... getting near the quality of the Yamaha NS1000Ms that I use.

My L300s were imported from France, where they seem to still be very popular. I must say that I would like to have another go at a renovation on L300s. They are very nice to work on.

George

I had a set of L200's that were the first incarnation of the L300's. But someone had modified mine. they had the JBL bullit tweeters mounted in the top like the L300 has the slot/ring.

Unbelieveably efficient. years later i sold them to a friend and he ran them with a 5 watt per channel jambox until he could afford an amplifier and they sounded pretty good to. they just didnt get very loud, but loud enough.

There hasnt been much info on the L200's. im curious about the development of the L200 through to the L300 range.

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.