Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Hello Pieter...

Thank you for your interest in the Manzanita and Ultra! There is a lot of flexibility in construction materials as long as all joints are secure and rattle - buzz free.

.75" is all that is needed for either speaker. Too much thickness can be an issue, especially with the Vifa. The amount of depth behind the Vifa can restrict and reflect the rear output radiation. Not good. I think your best approach to the wood you use will be driven by your cosmetic priorities. For example, for something simple with a painted or glue on veneer surfaces, 3/4" MDF works fine. If you want more of furniture appearance you could use any solid wood, or layers of same to get to the .75" thickness.

The nice thing about the 15" is that it has enough surface area that medium 2-5 MM excursions are sufficient for most bass requirements and that amount of movement is easily handled with .75" baffle thickness.

Please let us know how your project evolves and good luck!

Best

Nice to see the thread is still alive. The pics show (I hope) baffles made from 2' x4' 2" MDF, which I stumbled into at the local building supply store. They required some router work to open the backside, but am happy with the result.

It took about six months for the big drivers to loosen up and methinks its time to tweak the crossover a bit. Wonderful design John.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    623.8 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    620.8 KB · Views: 1,316
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    669.1 KB · Views: 1,279
I'm just starting a 15" woofer version of the standmounter, and have a question on the dimension of the side wings. What about using 5.5" x .75" boards, the actual dimension of 1 x 6) rather than rip them down to 4.25"? Aligning the front edge of the trim with the front of the baffle, there would be about 4.8" extending behind.

Everything else is pretty straighforward, other than recessing a squircle-shaped driver! Learning curve time.

Thanks,
Cam

OK, maybe the issue of side wing width has been addressed often enough? I feel as though I've killed the entire thread! I'll stick with John's statement that the wings extend no more than 4" from the rear of the baffle (for standmount Manzies.)

Finally got a reasonably good dry run of TC9 baffle recess, after getting the right combo of router bit and template guide diameter, along with guide depth for a 1/4" thick template. Definitely not straightforward to do at home, rather than have it CNCed somewhere

Cam.

The wing depths for both the original Manzanita and Ultra were set at 4" for 2 reasons, simplicity of construction and once you get above a 4" depth behind the Vifa you can start to hear cavity resonances. And you start transitioning from a simple dipole to a more complex cardioid response.

The simple 4" wing(s) helped to keep the crossover fairly simple to. It is a compromise to be sure, but again, needed to meet system construction simplicity goals.

With that said, more complex wing shapes and depths can be employed. I have just finished an updated GRS 15 based Manzanita that uses an updated, but more difficult to fabricate wing set. The complex wing requires some adjustment to the crossover but yields a higher efficiency system with a bit more extension on the lower bass. Hope to post more on that in the near future.

The Augies basic specs are acceptable for a Manzanita design... Fairly high Q, reasonable Xmax and a good FS. All though I did play with a pair of them a long time ago, I don't recall what their upper mid range was like.

Their general specs are some where between the Peerless 12" and the GRS 15. Bottom line is there would have to be some crossover adjustments to optimize the Augie on the standard Manzanita baffle. The Ultra would be more flexible with it's larger, wider baffle.

Does anyone have a frequency response curve for the Augie? Do worry about the midrange qualities. Wish I knew more. John

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Nice to see the thread is still alive. The pics show (I hope) baffles made from 2' x4' 2" MDF, which I stumbled into at the local building supply store. They required some router work to open the backside, but am happy with the result.

It took about six months for the big drivers to loosen up and methinks its time to tweak the crossover a bit. Wonderful design John.

Handsome speakers!! Nice job

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Inductor Bagains!

Have a look, John found some inductors on Parts Express for a great price.

Parts Express 100 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover
This crossover has an 18.3 mH inductor that would work well for the GRS woofer.

Parts Express 80 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover
This has a 21 mH inductor that will work with the Peerless woofer.

Just throw way the caps, or save them for some future project. These will get you into the Manzanita at a reduced price, helping the "inexpensive" part of the project.

QTS is too low

yea wondered about that, BUT the 12" peerless has a Qts around .5. I thought that was too low but ?? what am i missing?

seems to me we could use ether a higher sensitivity/ lower Q driver and have the high sensitivity to work with to get bass, OR we could use a lower sensitivity driver with a big Q to get an overall similar sensativity but just use less EQ?

Is there a fine line here I am missing?

Last edited: