Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I now have a jigsaw with the blade guide and it tends to cut where I point it. The older ones I had the blade would always pull of in whichever direction took its fancy, never on the line. :mad:

As for routers, I don't know I have a big Ryobi plunge router that works great. If you don't build a lot of speakers, a light one should be fine. A 1/4" straight bit is good for cutting circles.

I read up on the tool I bought and it looks like people generally hate it. It has the problem Pano talks about. I would either go with a router or get a really good wood cutting blade for my jigsaw and try cutting the circle that way. I dislike my router for some reason. Its an intimidating tool because its so darn powerful. I think the jigsaw is worth the effort. You dont need perfection in your circle, just make sure it is within certain tolerances to accomodate for the lip of the speaker and then use some type of gasket and you will be fine. Its cheaper this way .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also look for sales. I picked up a nice set at Sears on sale.

You can do pretty well with a jigsaw and some practice. The best advice I ever had was "Be the line". It works, don't think circles, don't think direction, don't think anything but the line. Be the line - be nothing but the line. Really works.

But routers still make better circles. :p

I have used the heavier duty Dremel rotozip-like device with rotozip bits, and it works. It came with a circle cutter trammel. In reality it's a little too light duty, and you have to make many shallow cuts or the thing flexes and the cut gets less precise. The lightest duty router is a better bet.

Skip

I guess it's worth investing in a router if a lot of holes need cutting for this hobby. Right now I only have a jigsaw, a good one though, Bosch. Are all routers about the same??

In my opinion if you will only use it occasionally, the cheaper ones are fine. They really are great for cutting circles (as well as all the obvious things they're known for). I bought a set of cheap different shaped bits for occasional use, and a couple of more expensive ones (flush trim and thin straight cut) for what I thought would be the more demanding job of cutting the circles on speaker baffles and trimming edges. However, the cheap bits were really good and I probably didn't need to buy the expensive ones. But, if you're going to do a lot of work I expect the expensive bits would last longer. Some may cringe, but I've even flush trimmed the edge of aluminium sheet using the cheaper bits.

I made my circle jig out of a piece of 5mm MDF sheet (actually a blank place mat from a craft store) which was screwed to the base of the router with a hole for the bit to protrude through. I just use a nail with the head removed as the pivot. It worked really well.

Have always used some scrap hardboard for a circle jig. The roto zip bits work, just a little to lite duty. Met the guy who invented them back in 1977. We bought a dozen or so (The Airplane Factory, Dayton (Brandt) Ohio) from him for trimming canopies. The higher speeds melted the plastic making a mess in the process and took to long so back to the two men and a bandsaw routine. Good for prototyping oddball things tho. Zip bits are wonderful for trimming out drywall.
Routers always worked better for anything more dense.

Manzanita CV

Hi all!
Following this thread with great interest. Recently discovered this blog post - RMAF 2013: Manzanita Audio Solutions | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile, with description of "Manzanita CV".
My questions to John Busch or Pano - can you shed the more light on these beauties? Could they be the basis for another diy project (like original Manzanitas and Ultra)?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Best regards, Albert.

Albert....

The Manzanita CV is the Commercial Version of the original Manzanita concept. It uses a rather expensive Vifa 4" full range and a fairly complex crossover. I demonstrated them at RMAF to see if there was - is interest in the commercial market place for the design. They were well received with many listeners comparing them to speakers 2 & 3 times the asking price. I do not plan to offer the design as a DIY project at this time. Gotta pay the bills. Sure you know what I mean. Do much appreciate your interest.

John

It's funny how everyone wants to make a floor stander out of this. I understand, so did I! :D But it's better with the short baffle up off the floor.

So here's an idea: Why not give it legs?
Since you need to build a 2x2" subframe anyway, you could extend that frame down the the floor. The two 2x2 sticks that run the vertical length behind the baffle, just make them long enough to reach the floor. Those become the front legs.

At the floor run another stick of 2x2 directly backward on the floor from behind each leg. Go back 15-24". Those are the feet. From the back of the feet, run a diagonal stick up to the baffle on each side. Voila! Stand, frame and feet all in one. From the side it would look like a triangle.

The shelf can go at the bottom of the baffle as per normal, or down on the floor. EZ to do, no stand needed and the baffle floats free, as designed. You could even use 2x4" lumber if you wanted the stand to be heavy and solid.

Do I need to draw a picture?

I always Liked you Pano....It's like you get it. I'm starting a new OB setup with my Eminence Alpha's and had I not already ordered the Mid/HF speakers (EV pro 8A's) I would have considered this design. Although it seems kinda similar to the MJK OB's I built a year or so ago. You and John have put a lot into this and I commend you for the help your sharing with others. :cheers:

Hi there,

Just curious about the bass crossover you use in Manzanita. I certainly use them differently as I have two of them and in a "nude" swinging mode. Nude and swinging is a bit more exiting, huh:eek:)
Anyway with an active x-over, second order at 100 Hz I have a peak around 700-800 Hz. It's measured near field so no room influence. Moving x-over to 80Hz reduces peak about 7-8db and voices + some piano recordings lose their "bite" on some notes.

As I understand you use first order at around 55Hz, is it steep enough then? Can you hear some peaks in the Manzanita or is it me being over sensitive?

Btw, it's the best bass I ever had so far, very clean and reaches down to 30Hz in room with some help by EQ.

Good luck with your business John!!

Peter