Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes of course! I used to by them at Castorama or les sous sols du BHV. Cheap and plenty.
However, in North America we don't use them in house wiring as you do in Europe. We use those silly, awful wire nuts instead. So those great "Sucre" (sugar cubes) or dominoes as they are often known, are a special item for us. They are by far the best thing for crossover prototyping.

Once my crossover is set, I solder it up using terminal strips like these.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey folks, here's a setup question. What is the minimum distance required between these speakers and listener?

In my 11/6 x 15/6 room, I can place them 5' from the backwall and 2' from the sides, but that ends up being 7' from my chair (and roughly 5' apart). Problem? Now running small planars (modded MMGs) in these measurements, with fine integration.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have been following the thread from the start, I'll never build it because I really don't need another project I can't afford, but the change to the Vifa 3 inch makes me think even more about getting on and making the speaker I actually have the drivers for.
I happen to have lots of LG full range 3" drivers here that are similar to the Vifa, just no comparable 12" woofer. SWMBO will murderate me if I even think about buying anything new LOL ( well at last until I get the bedroom speakers finished)

Seven feet is a little close for any speaker this size. You might experiment with a compromise between distance to you and distance to the wall. Let's see what John says.

I agree. I had mine in my 12' x 15' office. Then I moved them to the garage. Wow, what a difference. I still can't get over how well the 3" Vifa performs. And the Peerless, great woofer!

Yes of course! I used to by them at Castorama or les sous sols du BHV. Cheap and plenty.
However, in North America we don't use them in house wiring as you do in Europe. We use those silly, awful wire nuts instead. So those great "Sucre" (sugar cubes) or dominoes as they are often known, are a special item for us. They are by far the best thing for crossover prototyping.

Once my crossover is set, I solder it up using terminal strips like these.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
No choc blocks in the US? blimey! hardly surprising tho i guess, from the only country to NOT discriminate between the 3 phases using coloured cable insulation...

Suggestions for tube amp to go with the Manzanitas

I am ready to try a tube amp. I am just starting to read up on the subject and there is a lot of differing opinions on matching a tube amp with different speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tube amp or tube amp kit that would go well with my Manzanitas? Maybe this is a bad idea since the Manzys seem to like a bit of power, but I really don't know.

John

No choc blocks in the US? blimey! hardly surprising tho i guess, from the only country to NOT discriminate between the 3 phases using coloured cable insulation...

Yeah, I haven't been able to find them here, either. We have the screw terminals and the "barrier" strips, but for some reason, I'd much rather have these.

I wonder if we could make them?

This is probably the closest thing we could get.
CONNEX Terminal 12 Position Adjustable Height Terminal Strips

Yes it is a bad idea... You need at least 50W per channel...
A solid state amp can provide much more current.

This double push pull EL34 ?
Velleman K4040 Stereo Vacuum Tube Amplifier Kit

I am ready to try a tube amp. I am just starting to read up on the subject and there is a lot of differing opinions on matching a tube amp with different speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tube amp or tube amp kit that would go well with my Manzanitas? Maybe this is a bad idea since the Manzys seem to like a bit of power, but I really don't know.

John

Room size and power requirements, Oh My!

Hello All.

OK....

Concerning minimum room size, two thoughts. On the positive side of things the Manzanita has an excellent power response which allows considerable latitude relative to listening distance. I listen to my pair at around 8' with them modestly angled toward the listening position. Rear wall distance should be at least 36", 42" seems optimal in most residential sized rooms.

On the negative side, as the listening room becomes smaller in dimension and volume, the low end will roll off sooner. One way to off set this effect, ironically, is to listen at a closer distance. More of a near field situation. And as you get closer, the distance between the speakers must also be reduced to maintain a "Stereo" image - presentation.

Basically, you have to experiment and find what works best for a given situation. If one can get the Manzanita to perform well is a small hotel room, just about any room can work.

Concerning tube power requirements, I have found a typical Class A, EL34 Push Pull or larger to be reasonable. Something around 30 honest watts per channel. With the Manzanita, bigger is better up to around 125 WPC.:)

More low cost OB fun

Getting restless here in south Texas, where, btw it actually rained today! Yipee! Or is it Yippee?

OK, ordered up a pair of on sale Vifa NE123W-08 4" full range today. PE stocks as P/N 264-1128.

Will combine with the Goldwood 1858 (PE stock # 290-386). BTW, again, I have no connection with PE, just listing the P/N's for reference.

Plan to work up a simple floor standing two way OB. shapped wings to get the greatest possilbe bass extention and efficiency I can from the Goldwood.

Plan to get out of the GW around 250 Hz. On paper we hope to end up with a 87 dbw efficiency and a -3 around 35 hz or so. Should be able to handle 50 watts and play cleanly up to 100 db or so.

All of this is in the Manzanita simplistic tradition and takes advantage of the excellent design characteristics of the Vifa Neo 4" FR. It will be a $200 per side system that should work well with 15-30 watt tube or class D amps.

Admittedly a lot of work just to get 3 db or so more efficiency and 10 more HZ of bass extention, but, what the hell, it's fun to play and explore.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Will report back in a couple weeks or so. Moving my primary residence so that will slow things down a bit.

Best

Hi
Newbie here
Wants to build Manzanitas Ultra (GRS 15 W)
Dint find baffle dimension. :confused:
Why named Manzanitas? Means little apple in Spanish :D
I was looking for a cheap OB design in PE forum and a member post the link of this thread. I am a fan of low cost projects. I build a LBrits from a member of PE forum, short story, after 30 bucks in a pair I fall in love with low cost designs (sound quality vs cost ratio). Expect Manzanitas do the same for me in OB design.
Please baffle dimensions:eek:
Thanks

Hello Mr. Busch! I've been following your Manzanita line with great interest for the last couple of years. Especially interested in your P-Audio 18-inch coaxial, since I use the 15-inch version. I have the GW-1858 woofer in a speaker (with the P-Audio 15-inch coaxial) that I built with inspiration from your Altec/Eminence build. I really like the GW woofer and would love to use it in another build. I would be excited to build a beta of your new design, if you are satisfied with the results and want other builders to verify the design.