Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 91 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2013, 04:03 AM   #901
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Saw John at LSAF. Listened to his speakers. I probably only visited 9 rooms but nevertheless his speakers had the best sound to my ears.
John what's the name of that pair I listened to? Super Ultra? Is there a thread for them?
Thanks for the music and conversation.
Uriah

Last edited by udailey; 7th May 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 7th May 2013, 04:09 AM   #902
diyAudio Member

Ultra Plus... this is it. He just announced it last week... hasn't given out all the info about it.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:42 PM   #903
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I put on some pipe organ music to run through the Ultra. Specifically, this right cheer Merged thread of demo songs, tracks and CDs

I use this to test the bass on speakers. Let's just say the Ultra performed very well. You have to be careful with the volume because you could blow out your speakers, but the Ultra handled it perfectly. The cone on the GRS was pretty excited

I am loving these.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:45 PM   #904
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool!

FWIW, John is a pipe organ fan and loves that stuff for demo. I tease him about his "roller rink" music.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:08 PM   #905
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Cool!

FWIW, John is a pipe organ fan and loves that stuff for demo. I tease him about his "roller rink" music.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:45 PM   #906
diyAudio Member

Default MAS Ultra

Kec....

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with the Ultra. Good to know your are enjoying them!

The Ultra performed nicely, though briefly at LSAF last week. Many were surprised by the tonal balance, smoothness and deep, clean balanced bass response. It worked well the PE DTA-100 chip amp 35 (wpc), an EL-34 based integrated in P/P mode (50 wpc) and a KT-88 based intergrated in P/P mode (65 wpc). Performed well with a very wide range of music at low to moderate levels. (peaks on the couch in the mid to upper 90 db area). Distance to couch was about 12'. Used an OPPO 95 up front and modest cost interconnects. No sound traps or treatments. One of the larger rooms at 14' x 19' with 8' ceilings. To clear the room door they were set up about 48" from the front wall firing back into the suite and 26" from outer edge of the baffle to side walls.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:23 PM   #907
diyAudio Member

I have mine running for about 30 hrs. Oh....yes the bass is really outstanding. Don't know if I need more break in time, the mids n highs a bit thin.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:01 PM   #908
diyAudio Member

what is the maximum power the ultra will handle if nothing below 50hz is sent to it?
Old 10th May 2013, 11:58 PM   #909
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Albertli & Keager!

Albertli....

One great thing about the Ultra is it is Ultra easy to personalize. If you need a bit more aggressive mid range Lower R1 a bit (3-5 ohms) and see if that gets you where you need to go. You can also lower R2 1 ohm to increase the over all Vifa output relative to the GRS 15. It's a balancing act. I would recommend lowering the value of R2 Vifa pad one ohm first and see if your headed in the right direction. I have set the base crossover parts at a very forgiving level. Laid back a bit. Most folks have transistor amps which tend to be a bit harsh. Well, edgy. So please play a bit and share what you find to be best for you.

Keager...

If you cut the GR15 of at 50 Hz it will easily handle 100 watts +. The Vifa which starts to really kick in around 700 Hz can handle it's 20 watt rms rating.

So, I think a fair rating for the system used as you intend is 150 watts program. That means music input with brief 150 watt peaks. Long term average power would be in the 15-30 watt range, which is pretty loud with most music.

Hope the above is helpful!

Best and enjoy!
Old 11th May 2013, 06:00 AM   #910
diyAudio Member

John,

Thanks n will try R2 at 7R, but don't have that in hand, have to buy n try. Will report.

Albert

Hide this!Advertise here!