Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 08:45 PM   #831
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Would you put me in you will for when SWMBO discovers this ???
te he he he - there is no use for a foot pedal because the motor is missing, I tried that first for the winding machine but nowhere near enough torque.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:53 PM   #832
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Would you put me in you will for when SWMBO discovers this ???
te he he he - there is no use for a foot pedal because the motor is missing, I tried that first for the winding machine but nowhere near enough torque.

Old 29th January 2013, 09:00 PM   #833
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
FWIW, this thread passed 250,000 views last week. How about that? We need to convert more of those views into bulids.
OMG The last thing the boss wants is another speaker project and the need to buy more drivers, I do intend to make an :"Homage clone" tho using a set of woofers I have on the shelf " Eventually "
Old 30th January 2013, 06:42 PM   #834
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for sharing your build

Johno.... Thanks for sharing your build experience and pictures! Looks great!! Also great to know you like the sonic results.

Curious, what are the dcr values for your 2 custom coils? And what resistance value do you like on the Vifa? It will also good to know where you end up on the Vifa crossover components once the speaker has settled down. This is usually 100 hours or so of playing time. And one last thing, what distance from the rear wall sounds the best, most balanced to you? Hope I'm not being too much of a pest! Best and congratulations on your new creation! John
Old 1st February 2013, 02:00 AM   #835
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bsuch View Post
Johno.... Thanks for sharing your build experience and pictures! Looks great!! Also great to know you like the sonic results.

Curious, what are the dcr values for your 2 custom coils? And what resistance value do you like on the Vifa? It will also good to know where you end up on the Vifa crossover components once the speaker has settled down. This is usually 100 hours or so of playing time. And one last thing, what distance from the rear wall sounds the best, most balanced to you?
Hi John, thanks for the kind comments....
My feedback

My amp has the volume knob about 40% higher to get roughly the same volume out as the old bass reflex speakers. OBs do indeed eat watts.

20mH has 0R95 dcr (compared to 0R56 for the recommended ERSE) and the 2mH has 0R27 (compared to 0R7 for the ERSE). Believe this giving me more high end and less low end and this is becoming more apparent as the speakers age.

I am currently using 5u6 with 4R7 on the pad and 10R in the trap per your spec, but to re-balance the output for the higher 20mH dcR I am planning to increase C to 6u2 and the pad to 5R6. Maybe the trap could increase to 12R. But I will let the drivers settle more first.

The rear wall distance is really fascinating.
WAF says as close to the wall as possible leading to harshness and diminished bass. Sounds horrid.
But 48 inches into room and about 18 inches in from the side and the bass returns and the treble mellows. So we are at an impasse of sorts. And she doesn't yet know about the sewing machine. However I have my eye on a lovely little red ducatti to buy her as a peace offering (and no, she doesn't ride - te he he he)
The room itself is L shaped with large curtained windows on both long sides. The stereo is currently in the shorter/narrower arm of the "L". I am going to reverse the position to the larger half which is about 14x19 feet vs 9x13.

Finally I am using a cheap karaoke amp while I finish the 5 a side Leach amp that I am building and I am certain its freq response is not too flash. This is probably having a negative impact on my listening impressions now, so at the least I need to measure its response and only fiddle accordingly.

More to come obviously. Thanks again for sharing the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBK1198.jpg (70.5 KB, 780 views)
Old 1st February 2013, 02:08 AM   #836
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However I have my eye on a lovely little red ducatti to buy her as a peace offering
Girly bike if ever I saw one, LOL
Old 1st February 2013, 02:18 AM   #837
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Moondog55;3351060]
Quote:
However I have my eye on a lovely little red ducatti to buy her as a peace offering r/QUOTE]

Girly bike if ever I saw one, LOL
Yeah, appeals and gives expression to my repressed inner feminine side.
Old 14th February 2013, 05:30 PM   #838
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have an idea how the Eminence Magum 18LF would perform for the HE? I have seen some used ones for sale and am wondering if it is an affordable alternative. I would be pairing it with an Alpair 12p.

John
Old 14th February 2013, 07:42 PM   #839
diyAudio Member

The Magnum 18 LF is a nice woofer with a smooth roll off similar to the Eminence 18241 originally used in the HE. Both have similar xmax. The Magnum is about 2 db less efficient, but a higher QTS and FS. (.22 vs .32 & 22Hz vs 32 Hz) Not enough to make a lot of difference. Anyway, the Magnum is closer than most 18's but would require some additional pad on the Seas 8" FR. The FR crossover cap may also require some adjustment slightly downward in value to retain the original crossover point. The Magnum also has a Faraday ring, the original 18241 does not.

If you are willing or able to do some crossover tweaks the Magnum should work reasonably well but the over all system will not be quite as efficient. Hope this helps.
Old 18th February 2013, 05:26 PM   #840
bjuck57 is offline bjuck57  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default My new Manzanita Ultra build.

Hello John and fellow diy builders. I have had the great fun of building the Manzanita Ultra's the last couple of weeks. I hooked up the speakers to my tube pre-amp and B&K ST202+ power amp yesterday night. First impressions are very good, with a very impressive bass and homogenous overall sound. Very low and clean bass notes. This is only my first listening impressions with new drivers, no proper burn-in period done. Thank you so much John for sharing this exciting and elegant design with the diy community! \Hans in Holmsund, Sweden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07685.jpg (962.2 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07687.jpg (915.7 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07701.jpg (683.1 KB, 559 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!