Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 80 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2012, 05:43 PM   #791
diyAudio Member

Yes it is a bad idea... You need at least 50W per channel...
A solid state amp can provide much more current.

This double push pull EL34 ?
Velleman K4040 Stereo Vacuum Tube Amplifier Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowling View Post
I am ready to try a tube amp. I am just starting to read up on the subject and there is a lot of differing opinions on matching a tube amp with different speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tube amp or tube amp kit that would go well with my Manzanitas? Maybe this is a bad idea since the Manzys seem to like a bit of power, but I really don't know.

John
Old 6th August 2012, 04:34 PM   #792
diyAudio Member

Default Room size and power requirements, Oh My!

Hello All.

OK....

Concerning minimum room size, two thoughts. On the positive side of things the Manzanita has an excellent power response which allows considerable latitude relative to listening distance. I listen to my pair at around 8' with them modestly angled toward the listening position. Rear wall distance should be at least 36", 42" seems optimal in most residential sized rooms.

On the negative side, as the listening room becomes smaller in dimension and volume, the low end will roll off sooner. One way to off set this effect, ironically, is to listen at a closer distance. More of a near field situation. And as you get closer, the distance between the speakers must also be reduced to maintain a "Stereo" image - presentation.

Basically, you have to experiment and find what works best for a given situation. If one can get the Manzanita to perform well is a small hotel room, just about any room can work.

Concerning tube power requirements, I have found a typical Class A, EL34 Push Pull or larger to be reasonable. Something around 30 honest watts per channel. With the Manzanita, bigger is better up to around 125 WPC.
Old 7th August 2012, 11:12 AM   #793
johnvb is offline johnvb  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation, John. And for your support!
Old 10th August 2012, 11:20 PM   #794
diyAudio Member

Default More low cost OB fun

Getting restless here in south Texas, where, btw it actually rained today! Yipee! Or is it Yippee?

OK, ordered up a pair of on sale Vifa NE123W-08 4" full range today. PE stocks as P/N 264-1128.

Will combine with the Goldwood 1858 (PE stock # 290-386). BTW, again, I have no connection with PE, just listing the P/N's for reference.

Plan to work up a simple floor standing two way OB. shapped wings to get the greatest possilbe bass extention and efficiency I can from the Goldwood.

Plan to get out of the GW around 250 Hz. On paper we hope to end up with a 87 dbw efficiency and a -3 around 35 hz or so. Should be able to handle 50 watts and play cleanly up to 100 db or so.

All of this is in the Manzanita simplistic tradition and takes advantage of the excellent design characteristics of the Vifa Neo 4" FR. It will be a $200 per side system that should work well with 15-30 watt tube or class D amps.

Admittedly a lot of work just to get 3 db or so more efficiency and 10 more HZ of bass extention, but, what the hell, it's fun to play and explore.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Will report back in a couple weeks or so. Moving my primary residence so that will slow things down a bit.

Best
Old 28th August 2012, 12:40 AM   #795
diyAudio Member

Hi
Newbie here
Wants to build Manzanitas Ultra (GRS 15 W)
Dint find baffle dimension.
Why named Manzanitas? Means little apple in Spanish
I was looking for a cheap OB design in PE forum and a member post the link of this thread. I am a fan of low cost projects. I build a LBrits from a member of PE forum, short story, after 30 bucks in a pair I fall in love with low cost designs (sound quality vs cost ratio). Expect Manzanitas do the same for me in OB design.
Please baffle dimensions
Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 01:37 AM   #796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piazzafatb View Post
Hi

Why named Manzanitas? Means little apple in Spanish
I thought it was because it is an excellent Sherry wine, drunk slowly and savoured . LOL
But I was thinking of Manzanilla

Manzanilla (wine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manzanita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comfort music not comfort food?

I really should get out more.
Old 28th August 2012, 02:28 AM   #797
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Ultra is a 1/4 sheet of plywood - 24"x48". It has 6" deep wings. Super simple!
http://manzanitaaudiosolutions.com/ultra.html
Old 28th August 2012, 03:18 AM   #798
diyAudio Member

Default Manzanita

When John started this design thread he was living in the foothills of the
Sierras in California where Manzanita is a pretty native shrub. Now he's in
the Hill Country of Texas. I don't know what Busch's favorite bush might
be there.

Skip Pack
Old 5th September 2012, 08:00 AM   #799
bjuck57 is offline bjuck57  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello Mr. Busch! I've been following your Manzanita line with great interest for the last couple of years. Especially interested in your P-Audio 18-inch coaxial, since I use the 15-inch version. I have the GW-1858 woofer in a speaker (with the P-Audio 15-inch coaxial) that I built with inspiration from your Altec/Eminence build. I really like the GW woofer and would love to use it in another build. I would be excited to build a beta of your new design, if you are satisfied with the results and want other builders to verify the design.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:31 PM   #800
diyAudio Member

Yes i would like to do the same!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!